Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by doodaa

Hi

Hope people can help me I trying to total up my millage from my trip to the States from the UK earlier in the year. I'm after the milage of these train rides

1 Chamber Square - Times Square

2 Times Square - Grand Central Station

3 Times Square - Penn Station

Thanks in Advance

Steve

by jersey_emt

While I am unaware of these mileages, I just want to clarify the trips you took so people 'in the know' can more easily get you the correct numbers. Are the following correct?

1. I assume you mean Chambers Street -> Times Square, on the 1/2/3.
2. Times Square -> Grand Central via the Times Square Shuttle (S).
3. 34th Street / Penn Station to Grand Central via the 1/2/3 with a transfer to the Times Square Shuttle.

by doodaa

Yes that sounds about right for the route/train numbers

steve
  by Tom Curtin

This is kind of a challenge to figure out since in NYC we don't think in miles, we think in blocks (admittedly a very imprecise method of reckoning distance, particularly outside of Manhattan!!). However, unless somebody else beats me to it I will attempt to figure out the distances you are asking about.

Another oddity of reckoning geography in NYC is that (particularly in Manhattan and The Bronx) we tend not to speak of points on the compass --- i.e., north, south, etc. --- directions are "uptown" and "downtown." As you no doubt observed the subway system observes that convention.

But I guess you Brits can relate to things like that. I understand that by national convention, or tradition, or whatever, the direction "up" is always toward London, regardless of what the compass direction may be.
  by doodaa

Tom Curtin wrote: But I guess you Brits can relate to things like that. I understand that by national convention, or tradition, or whatever, the direction "up" is always toward London, regardless of what the compass direction may be.
Hi Tom

Thanks for your efforts, and you are correct every thing goes Up to London, railway lines are names Up Main, Down Main etc. Can get a little confussing at time or to those not familiar with the locations, for example where I live in South Wales, the Up trains go down hill from the valley branch lines.

Steve