• MFL Derailment at 15th St - 9/22

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by mannynews

Heard reports of a 2 or 3 car derailment late Thursday night at 15th St.
Scanner reports say 2 injured, and 100 transferred to shuttle buses.
Anyone else have details?

by the sarge

I do not have any details in respect to the cause of the derailment, but I do know that, believe it or not, SEPTA had service back to normal by the start of service this morning. The accident happened around 9:30PM when 1,2 or 3 (The conflicting numbers being thrown around this morning) cars jumped the track. I also do know that when the cars were removed, the track required some repair.

by jfrey40535

I knew this was a problem WEEKS AGO, fortunately the derailment was not serious. I went as far as to contact SEPTA to make them aware that there is a problem, but in their usual fashion they insisted nothing was wrong:
Be assured that the safety of our customers and employees is of paramount importance at SEPTA. The tracks of the Market/Frankford Subway-Elevated Line (as well as our other subway and commuter rail lines) are regularly inspected. If there was ever a safety problem, the line would be shut down.

We will forward your comments to Management in the Facilities Department, Subway/Elevated Division, and Rail Equipment Maintenance Division.
Had it been more serious, it would have been tempting to send this to the press.

by the sarge

jfrey40535 wrote:I knew this was a problem WEEKS AGO, fortunately the derailment was not serious. I went as far as to contact SEPTA to make them aware that there is a problem, but in their usual fashion they insisted nothing was wrong:
Be assured that the safety of our customers and employees is of paramount importance at SEPTA. The tracks of the Market/Frankford Subway-Elevated Line (as well as our other subway and commuter rail lines) are regularly inspected. If there was ever a safety problem, the line would be shut down.

We will forward your comments to Management in the Facilities Department, Subway/Elevated Division, and Rail Equipment Maintenance Division.
Had it been more serious, it would have been tempting to send this to the press.
Are you talking about the soft spot about 1/4 of the way into the westbound station that jared the cars sideways?

-

by jfrey40535

No, in more general terms, I noticed that on some trains there is excessive movement of the cars (side to side), most noticeablly between 15th and 30th Street Westbound. It is most noticeable if you sit in the rear of the car. I know there are some soft spots in the tracks where you can actually see the track sink as the cars roll over those spots, but I don't think that's uncommon.

by the sarge

True, there are noticeable soft spots on the MFL – especially ones that you can see as the trains go by on the opposite platform, but this soft spot caused significant lateral motion. Majority of the time, I ride in the first car, but this past week, I rode in the last car a few times. I only noticed the sharp jarring while riding in the last car –front or back. A few days ago, I swear our car hit the platform - at least in felt and sounded like it.

The side swiping between 15th and 30th to me, has always been there for years; like you said, it feels worse if riding in the back of the car.

by mannynews

SEPTA Source reports the rear truck of the third car of westbound EL train #79 derailed at the 15th Street Crossover switch. The car that derailed was car # 1176. The operator evacuated passengers from 1176 to car 1049., and then taken back to 15th street station by Route 36 trolley. Four passengers claimed injury (non-life threatening).

The line was turned from west to east at 5th Street, with 14 shuttles filling the gap.

The train was re-railed at 0244 and moved from 15th Street and taken to the 69th Street Yard.

by aem7

That car happened to have its wheels trewed (cut) about 12 hours prior to the incident.

by MACTRAXX

Guys-I was told about this derailment and I would like to know where exactly did it happen and how much track damage(if any)was there? I for one have never liked the block tie track in the Market Street Subway from around 22st to 2nd st. I recall the old way the wood block ties were before the rail and ties were replaced in the late 90s with the rail sitting directly on the tie-like the BSL express tracks at City Hall. I feel this should have been replaced with the track being similar to Regional Rail at Market East Station or slab track with direct fixation similar to the Pattison Avenue extension or the express BSL tracks between Erie and Olney. The MFL between 15 and 30 st.stations I can recall was a place for a little speed. I recall riding the old 1960 Budds in the late 70s and 80s and remembering them swaying back and forth at speed. Motorman would try to get enough momentum going downhill under the Schuykill River to get up the other side. Now with the slow orders trains must pull power to get uphill to 30st. especially WB. Observations and memories from MACTRAXX