• Metropolitan Branch Trail

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

by gprimr1

Anyone heard of this?

http://www.metbranchtrail.com/?reload

It looks like it runs right along the CSX railroad. It looks like it could be a great place to watch trains.
  by jkovach

The trail as it exists today runs along the Metro Red Line from just north of Rhode Island Avenue to just south of New York Avenue, next to the CSX Metropolitan Sub (aka the Brunswick Line), Metro Brentwood shops, and the tracks leading in to Union Station. You can see the trail if you look out the right hand windows from an inbound Red Line train.

I think there's a fence between the trail and the tracks. Don't know how good the view is from the trail - never been on it, only seen it from the Metro.
  by gprimr1

I'm curious what the rail photography implications of this are.
  by strench707

There's a fence almost the whole way, not that great for pictures unless you backet way up and just dealt with it being a long side of the train in your pictures.

I'd bring a ladder! :P

Davis
  by SemperFidelis

And with the heightened state of near-schizophrenic paranoia surrounding the clear and present threat that rail photography poses to our national security, you might want to save the ladder for when you are detained at GTMO. :-D

Good luck!