Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Lackawanna484

The NY times has an article today about an effort to blitz the chief scheduler with phone calls from irate commuters. The effort started with the man's name and direct phone number listed at Golden's Bridge station, and has spread elsewhere.

The customer service people have received hundreds of calls protesting the new schedules, added stops, slower trains, etc. Goldens lost an originating train, that train now starts at Southeast, meaning that it's sometimes standees only.

The individual has received dozens of calls, berating him for the new schedule. MN is hopeful that the end of leaf season and customer adjustment will clam thigs down.

Link to follow...
  by metroduff

As the article notes, the gentleman in question had his name and phone number posted at Upper Harlem stations after commuters became irate when the new schedule was put in place in the middle of leaf season (at the time change from EDT to EST) and during a week when MNR had signal failures and trees down due to the high winds.

I have worked with the gentleman in question for six years, and the operative word is GENTLEMAN. It is a shame to see him treated in this manner by the public.

by Nester

I want to say that the same thing happened once or twice to Dave Sumner at the LIRR (he holds basically the same job). It will blow over (no leaf pun intended ;))

This was a massive change to the timetable, and (inevitably) someone is going to be upset about it. MN meant well in trying to make these changes, and they will never be able to please everyone.

My understanding from my friends on the line is not so much about the delays (some of which _are_ from leaf problems) but are more about changing the stops on certain trains. These are some of the things that MN would have heard if they would have circulated a proposed timetable and held a public hearing or two about the matter. Not that it will ever happen...

Nester

by Lackawanna484

In NJ, I know that Alex DeCroce the powerful head of the state assembly transportation committee routinely visits stations, listens to commuters, etc. Even when there's not an election imminent.

If he makes a suggestion to NJT about adding a stop, or changing a time, I'm sure they would give it good consideration.

I wouldn't underestimate the commuters. After they beat up this poor guy, they may get the county execs involved, and that could lead to a real circus

by mkm4

Nester wrote: My understanding from my friends on the line is not so much about the delays (some of which _are_ from leaf problems) but are more about changing the stops on certain trains. These are some of the things that MN would have heard if they would have circulated a proposed timetable and held a public hearing or two about the matter. Not that it will ever happen...

Nester
Goldens Bridge really got screwed in the schedule changes. Traveling to Brewster and points north, you can now save about eight minutes, but now between Goldens Bridge and Croton Falls takes seven minutes longer.

by njtmnrrbuff

When I look at the "third track concept" on the Harlem, it is just like some of the negative factors for the Montclair-Boonton.