Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by JayMan

This is a cross LIRR/MN question, but because this has to do with the existing layout of GCT, I thought it was better to ask it here. Is a third level to host LIRR trains in GCT really necessary? Beyond the third rail issue, if some or all of the tracks of the lower lever were permanently converted to LIRR third rail, would MN lose too much platform/train storage capacity?

I've heard that between the track space in GCT and new Highbridge yard LIRR can be brought in without needing to go to the expense of building a third level. Is there enough room in GCT to allow all this?
Last edited by JayMan on Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by roee

Even if they could squeze in, in a decade or less, they'll be maxed out again, just like NYP is. If your going to spend the money, they might as well do it right so they don't mess up Metro-North as well. Also I think I saw somewhere that the LIRR cars are going to come in from the East, i.e. face West at the Terminal, not south like the Metro-North Trains do (but I could be WAY off on this one).

by DutchRailnut

The reason for third level is the track comes in that low from tunnel under the subway tunnel, and LIRR also needs terminal space like ticket windows and waiting area. this can NOT be acomplished within the present GCT passenger area.
their terminal area will be on lower level and track below that.
escalators and stairrs will provide acces to steeet and north end access.

by JayMan

Ok, I've also heard that the third level will be 13 stories underground. Will this be the case?

by DutchRailnut

by Bensalem SEPTA rider

Here's how I would handle the project:

LIRR should get the exisitng GCT tracks. MNRR should use a new East River Tunnel as well as the Empire tracks to access Penn Station. The current Penn Station should be given to LIRR and MNRR while an entirely new set of platforms should be built under the Farley Building for Amtrak and NJT.

by Noel Weaver

Bensalem SEPTA rider wrote:Here's how I would handle the project:

LIRR should get the exisitng GCT tracks. MNRR should use a new East River Tunnel as well as the Empire tracks to access Penn Station. The current Penn Station should be given to LIRR and MNRR while an entirely new set of platforms should be built under the Farley Building for Amtrak and NJT.
I AM GLAD YOU ARE NOT HANDLING THE PROJECT....
Noel Weaver

by RedSoxSuck

Bensalem SEPTA rider wrote:Here's how I would handle the project:

And I thought the MTA went out of their way to do everything as illogical as possible....

Why would you litterally double the project and make changes that are just that CHANGES, which would not ultimately ADD anything, but only screw MNR to hell?!?!?!

If you have a preference for LIRR over MNR and are jealous of MNR having GCT, just admit it.

Why can't you accept the fact that MNR goes to GCT because of geographic conditions and PREEXISTING INFRUSTRUCTURE? MNR goes to GCT and LIRR goes to NYP. Get used to it! Do you have any idea how lucky you are that you getting ESA at all?!?!
  by RussM

The MTA reports that one of two 200-ton tunnel boring machines has completed its tunneling under Manhattan for the East Side Access Project, which will provide LIRR service to GCT. The machine bored more than one mile of tunnel stretching from 63rd Street and Second Avenue, on Manhattan's East Side, to a location underneath Grand Central. It will link to an existing, unused tunnel stretching under the East River to Sunnyside Yard in Queens. The second machine, boring a parallel tunnel, should complete its work this summer.
  by DutchRailnut

the East Side acces has nothing to do with Metro North however despite the initials GCT.
Its a seperate facility and should be discussed on LIRR forum.
  by mncommuter

DutchRailnut wrote:the East Side acces has nothing to do with Metro North however despite the initials GCT.
Maybe not, but it will provide Metro North passengers with a direct connection with LIRR. That's of interest to many of us on this forum.
  by DutchRailnut

There are telephones in GCT does that make this a Verizon forum.
It has a Post office does that make this a philately forum ??
  by RearOfSignal

DutchRailnut wrote:the East Side acces has nothing to do with Metro North however despite the initials GCT.
Yes, but MNR operations in GCT have been changed throughout the construction process for ESA. Lower level track construction and changes, etc.
  by DutchRailnut

no, they are changed for ever, we lost tracks 115 to 125 and no longer have a lower level loop.
That still does not make it a MNCR forum item on what happens 75 feet below the lower level.
  by SystemsConsciousness

What happened to the lower level loop and 115 and 125?

sc