Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by andy

Metro-North fares on the West-of-Hudson Lines to New York Penn Station or tickets requiring a transfer through Secuaus faregates will be increasing starting July 1.

From Mileposts West:
On Friday, July 1, NJTRANSIT will increase rail fares.

What does this mean to Metro-North customers taking the Pascack Valley and Port Jervis lines?

You'll be please to see that there won't be much of a difference in the price of your commute. In fact, all Metro-North fares to Hoboken and Secaucus Junction will remain the same.

And new fares to/from Penn Station-New York will increase by a relatively small percentage (from no change up to 4 percent). Believe it or not, some Pascack Valley Line fares will even decrease up to 5 percent.
I was able to look at the new fare tables (also on Metro-North's website) and 10-Trip, One Way are decreased. THE ONLY one that decreased 5% is the Reduced Fare for Seniors/Disabled. Like a lot of people are going to be affected by that reduction.

Of note is that Metro-North Pascack Valley Line tickets (and probably Port Jervis tickets) now rank even more expensive than tickets to/from Tarrytown and Grand Central ($215 vs. $213). Typical, less service for more money.

I didn't realize that the Secaucus arrangement was like this; in the past, when NJTRANSIT raised fares, I thought that Metro-North points were untouched. But I could be wrong...