• Metro north coach cleaner interview questions

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Bigjohn

Hi everyone I applied for a coach cleaner position did the exam and the background check now I have an interview in the near future I have a few questions. I put on my job application I can't work overnight do you think that they will not hire me because of that? And it says work locations and times are various does that mean every day I will work at a different station and time everyday? And do they place you around or somewhat around where you live just asking?i can work all days evenings and holidays but the overnight shift is a problem tried once before and couldn't handle it but someone had to see I wrote it down on my app in hr but just need some questions answered thanks
  by DutchRailnut

you work at location were your seniority lets you hold a job , to work other than overnight you have a few years seniority.
90 % of car cleaning happens between 11pm and 7 am and you may not be able to hold a job close to home.
turning down entry job could disqualify for further hiring.
  by Bigjohn

Thanks man kinda thought that but was just curious cause I put I can't work overnight from the very beginning thought someone in hr would have saw it but it is what it is thanks
  by Bigjohn

Any coach cleaners or former ones can give any advice how was it when they first started with scheduling and different locations
  by Rayelectric721

I'm an electrician for metro north and work along side all the coach cleaners. overnight is basically mandatory because that's when most of the trains are stationed at the yard and prepped for the following day. At one point or another in any position ,overnights are required and travel is required. you shot your foot on this one in sorry to say
  by Rayelectric721

Also for the job assignment, you are given a list of jobs at the end of your training. Your seniority in your class is usually assigned by age ,but can also go by whoever else has railroad experience. For example in my class I had 12, I was the youngest so I picked last. Now the jobs they give you are the jobs that nobody else wants,and also the jobs that they need filled. Once you pick your shitty job your allowed to bid out of that job for another one that is available once you get out into the field,but you have to realize that other people can bid these jobs too because they have more seniority than you.. You get 2 bids a year...it sucks in the beginning because you will most likely not have any weekends off...for me I lucked out and got weekends off