Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by TimV

Besides the predictable problems on the NH line, how does MN handle this heavy snow on the Upper Harlem and Hudson lines?
Do they own a plow or just use engines for snow-clearing?

by DutchRailnut

Metro North only has equipment mounted plows on the Freight units and Gennies and M-7's. all other equipment only has pilot bars.
MNCR has two caboose like flangers, for heavy snow removal from between the rails and a few Gasturbine snowblower/melters for use in yards and interlockings.
By keeping trains moving, the snow should never be higher than 3 or 4 inches from when last train passed.

by Maybrook fan

I saw them a jordan spreader type machine, to push snow back on the Harlem line a few years back.

by harmon44

I believe they just scrapped one of the caboose flangers. There was a bay window flanger in the croton east yard on the scrap line. It is now gone.

by DutchRailnut

Could very wel be, they were rarely used.
In addition to the equipment I stated before Metro North has two Hi-rail trucks with blowers on them the nozzle reaches over the cab and is adjustable from left to right it blows snow from under the third rail.
The truck is so powerfull a lot of the weaker third rail covers crack and blow off as well.
  by fordhamroad

Why does LIRR use alchohol cars for snow conditions and apparently Metro North and CDOT do not, or at least I have never heard of them, even back in NYC and NH days? How well does this method of cold weather control work?
Roger
  by bingdude

fordhamroad wrote:Why does LIRR use alchohol cars for snow conditions and apparently Metro North and CDOT do not, or at least I have never heard of them, even back in NYC and NH days? How well does this method of cold weather control work?
Roger

Because the Metro-North's (ex- NYC) 3rd rail is over-running--The shoe contacts the bottom of the rail. LIRR's is under-running, the shoe contacts on the top part where the ice and snow (and glycol) fall on it.
  by mkm4

bingdude wrote: Because the Metro-North's (ex- NYC) 3rd rail is over-running--The shoe contacts the bottom of the rail. LIRR's is under-running, the shoe contacts on the top part where the ice and snow (and glycol) fall on it.
You got the names backwards. MNCR is Under-Running and LIRR is Over-Running.

by Lackawanna484

Very nice, very positive article about MetroNorth's storm planning in today's Times. Mentions the storage of electrics at GCT, use of diesels where possible, minimal use of electrics during the storm.

It's nice to see good railroad planning noted and recognized.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/25/nyreg ... oref=login