• Metro in 20 years

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by realtype

I found this great individually-made map showing how the Metro system may look 20 years from now. I think it is pretty accurate, and the WMATA endorsed it by using it for a presentation (it was also on their website).

Metro in 2030
(click map to enlarge)
Last edited by realtype on Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by HokieNav

Thanks for posting this - I think that this version is even better (but more ambitious and less likely).

Great site all around, thanks for sharing.[/url]

Re:

by davinp

HokieNav wrote:Thanks for posting this - I think that this version is even better (but more ambitious and less likely).

Thanks for posting. Metro really needs to expand to Woodbridge. Many VRE riders come from Prince William Co and bored Metro at Franconia/Sprinfeld.

While VRE services Lorton-Fredericksburg, their service is limited and much more expensive. It would be convient if we had Metro at in Woodbridge. Currently parking is free at VRE stations and if METRO came down, they'd better not change that.

Re:

by Sand Box John

"HokieNav"
Thanks for posting this - I think that this version is even better (but more ambitious and less likely).

The Baltimore segment of the version 2 fantasy map is lifted verbatim from a map that was published by the Maryland Transit Administration (MTA). The only thing that is different is the MTA map had no line coming up from Silver Spring interface with the Baltimore light rail extension into Columbia.

Great site all around, thanks for sharing.

I discovered the site from the map that was in this press release at wmata.com. The press release is dated 05 22 2008. I posted links to the maps and related pages in 2 other forums on 05 27 2008 (subchat.com) and 06 01 2008 ( Monumentalcity.net , btco.net)
  by Sand Box John

For those that maybe interested. I took the liberty of creating an updating version of my track schematic to reflect the proposed expanded system map that was presented to the WMATA Board of Directors on 04 28 2008 that is published at greatergreaterwashington.org.
  by davinp

HokieNav wrote:Thanks for posting this - I think that this version is even better (but more ambitious and less likely).

Thanks. Metro needs to expand to Woodbridge. While VRE services Lorton to Fredericksburg, their service is limited. Now parking is free at VRE stations, and if Metro were their I don't want to see them charging for parking at the stations.
  by gprimr1

It's a great map.

It's missing service to Ellicot city. This could run alongside the Old Main Line.

In terms of DC though, the Metro should be triple tracked in outlying stations before any of this is built. People are not going to be thrilled taking a train from Waldorf to DC that makes every stop.

And build some bathrooms too :wink:
  by realtype

gprimr1 wrote:It's a great map.

It's missing service to Ellicot city. This could run alongside the Old Main Line.

In terms of DC though, the Metro should be triple tracked in outlying stations before any of this is built. People are not going to be thrilled taking a train from Waldorf to DC that makes every stop.

And build some bathrooms too :wink:
I've always wondered about the feasability of triple tracking the Metro system. It seems nearly impossible (or prohibitively expensive) to triple track the downtown underground and elevtated portions, since new tunnels or elevated track would have to be constructed.

In the outlying stations the main problem seems to be that the Metro ROW is always changing between underground, elevated, and at grade sections. The at-grade portions seem to be the only sections that can be realistically triple-tracked. One section that readily comes to mind is between Shady Grove and Twinbrook, but that would seem way to short to warrant an extra express track. Also, MARC plans to triple track the Brunswick Line on that same section, leaving little extra space for Metro. Many sections of the suburban Metro such as the Largo side-Blue Line, Glenmont side-Red Line, and Greenbelt side-Green Line are mostly underground.

Metro doesn't seem to be interested in express tracks anyway as they were left out of the 'Silver Line' project.
  by gprimr1

That is a huge mistake in my opinion. My parents live in Upper Marlboro and we use Dulles for our travel needs.

We would love to use the new metro when it opens, but my god, to go from Largo to Dulles via Metro would be such a waste of time.
  by Sand Box John

"gprimr1"
That is a huge mistake in my opinion. My parents live in Upper Marlboro and we use Dulles for our travel needs.

The design and configuration of system was not built the way it was for the purpose of providing transit service from one side of town to the other. It was designed to move large amounts of people from the suburbs to the urban core.

We would love to use the new metro when it opens, but my god, to go from Largo to Dulles via Metro would be such a waste of time.

As it is now, trying to use it to commute from one side of town to the other is a waste of time.

The vast majority of the boarding that will be generated by the Tysons, Dulles Loudoun County N Route Silver line will not be going to destinations east of Capitol Hill.

I happen to believe that at least one third of the boarding that will originate on the line will not be going to destinations outside of the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Oh, and for your information, the running time between Largo Town Center and Dulles Airport is 85 minutes. That is provided that the train you board at Largo is going to Dulles.

WMATA plans to run selected train out of New Carrollton and Largo to Dulles and beyond to Ashburn. Add 3 minutes peak or 6 minutes off peak if you have transfer from a Blue line train to a Silver line train.

The running time was calculated by adding the running times that are generated at the metrorail stations page at wmata.com with the running time that are in Volume I chapter 6 (497 KB PDF file) page 12 of the Final Environmental Impact Statement.