Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by doepack

A new website that profiles future Metra service expansions, including detailed overviews of the proposed STAR and SES lines. For further edification...

http://metraconnects.metrarail.com/

by orangeline

I took a look at the website and saw that Metra is contemplating using DMUs for both lines. Would these be similar to NJT's DMUs used on their River Line (light rail), except configured for mainline railroading, or more like modern versions of RDCs? I wonder if Metra would consider using DMUs on other lines. It seems the people of Joliet will be in Metra bliss with the STAR line ending there. That would make 3 Metra lines + Amtrak in Joliet!

by doepack

I'm not that familiar with DMU's, but if Metra indeed chooses these vehicles for its STAR line, I'd think they'd prefer something that's already FRA approved, which would rule out the DMU's used on NJT. While not impossible, modifying DMU's originally constructed as LRV's for conformity to FRA standards can be dicey, not to mention costly. Due to inherent capacity limitations, I also don't see DMU's being used anywhere else on Metra's current network. Perhaps on the HC since it has only 4 intermediate stations between Joliet and Chicago, but that would be a longshot at best, although it would free up a little more equipment to either add capacity to existing routes, or to provide start-up equipment for the SES...

by jg greenwood

Those of you in the area, what's the probability of these planned expansions achieving fruition?

by doepack

jg greenwood wrote:Those of you in the area, what's the probability of these planned expansions achieving fruition?
Just one man's opinion, but I think it's much more likely to see the scheduled improvements for UP-W and UP-NW in place before the new services begin. Judging from the available documents on the proposed STAR and SES lines, right now I'd say the SES line is probably the most likely to begin service first, since much of the necessary rail infrastructure already exists. Even though much of the STAR route will run on current EJE trackage, many upgrades and new construction must take place before service can start, making it that much more expensive to build. Conservative estimates bring the minimal costs related to these projects to tens of millions of dollars, and you'd be foolish to expect little, if any funding to come from the government, especially given the way this administration has treated Amtrak, and the abysmal track record they have in basically ignoring the financial needs of many transit systems across the country, particularly those that couldn't rely as heavily on state or local funding. As for us Illinois residents, these projects are hoped to be in place by 2020... to me, that's wishful thinking at best.

by M&Eman

orangeline wrote:It seems the people of Joliet will be in Metra bliss with the STAR line ending there. That would make 3 Metra lines + Amtrak in Joliet!
Why is Joliet so well served by Metra? Are 2(eventually 3) lines justifiable. Is there that large a commuter population? Is the head honcho at Metra a Joliet resident?

by MikeF

M&Eman wrote:Why is Joliet so well served by Metra? Are 2(eventually 3) lines justifiable. Is there that large a commuter population? Is the head honcho at Metra a Joliet resident?
Actually the fact that Joliet is served by two Metra routes has little to do with Joliet itself. The two routes serve areas that are quite far apart (in fact, they're separated by another Metra route, the SouthWest Service), but just happen to both terminate in Joliet, a result of the routings the Rock Island and the Chicago & Alton selected to head west from the Windy City.

by doepack

Among the more intriguing improvement plans for UP-NW calls for the elimination of the yards at Crystal Lake and McHenry with new facilities at Woodstock and Johnsburg (the new proposed terminal on the extended McHenry branch). Also, the proposed signal upgrade to bidirectional CTC on all main tracks along the segment between Crystal Lake and OTC, as well as the entire McHenry branch is definitely a step in the right direction in terms of adding additional trains (particularly of the express variety) to this line as well. The increased yard and signaling capacity will mean more trains on the McHenry branch too, though the study hasn't really mapped out the details regarding that yet. I'm guessing more through trains from McHenry to/from downtown during rush hours, but I'm wondering if additional shuttle service to/from Crystal Lake could be feasible as well, perhaps during the midday and weekends. I think it could be worth a look...

by MetraF40C607

Oh, i'm lovin it. The Star Line plans are awesome. Hehe, they wanna run down the middle of I-90! LOL! Oh my god...............you MUST be kidding me. Can't wait for that. Can't wait...............

by doepack

After taking a closer look at the proposed elimination of the current A-2 crossing (to be replaced by a new A-1 crossing 1 mile east), I noticed that there aren't any plans (as of yet, anyway) to reconfigure the current Western Ave station into a transfer facility that would include trains on the UP-W line. Looking at it on Google Earth, I think this could be feasible. Even with the current track configuration, there's still sufficient room to build a platform about 500 feet long or so along the south side of the tracks, right next the east wye connection to UP's Global One facility, immediately west of the A-2 diamonds. Allied Cement Co. currently owns the property in the immediate area, but initial estimates would seem to suggest only minimal land acquisition would be necessary for the new station. In this location, a transfer tunnel between the two stations would probably work best, which, next to constructing the station itself, would likely pose the greatest challenge.

The greatest benefit of this project would be inbound commuters on either UP-W/Milw/NCS trains would be able to transfer to outbound trains of another route without having to go all the way downtown, thus saving time. Perhaps get rid of the Kedzie station on UP-W, since the new Western station basically replaces it, and at least the newer station would serve a greater purpose.

Thoughts?