Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by MikeF

I'd much rather see advertisements in the schedules than entire train cars wrapped in ads. At least schedule advertisements are nothing new ... I'm not so sure about the steam railroads, but interurban schedules used to be full of them.
  by doepack

metraRI wrote:The newest print of RI's schedule has an ad for Beggars Pizza... how nice.
My copy of the current Metra Electric schedule has the Beggars ad as well, targeting the Harvey and Richton Park commuters. I agree Mike, this is the way advertising should be: Subtle and understated as opposed to loud and garish...
  by byte

I saw a RI schedule with one of those Beggars ads as well.
  by AMTKHawkeye

If you ask me, I think the wraps would be a lot more tolerable if they didn't cover the windows. While it would significantly limit the amount of space the designers had to work with, this particular Harris Bank design would have still looked decent and done its job, without destroying the lighting and view from within the car.
  by justalurker66

AMTKHawkeye wrote:If you ask me, I think the wraps would be a lot more tolerable if they didn't cover the windows. While it would significantly limit the amount of space the designers had to work with, this particular Harris Bank design would have still looked decent and done its job, without destroying the lighting and view from within the car.
Done right the windows are not hard to see out of. Done wrong and one might as well paint the windows.

However, I agree that the Harris Bank design could have used the windows as part of the design instead of covering all of them.
  by ohioriverrailway

I'm thinking that's a really attractive wrap, particularly the red. As was pointed out before, revenue is the name of the game. You need to get it where-ever and however you can. The revenue from a single wrap will far exceed all of the pizza joint timetable ads you'd ever want to see.
  by marie09

It looks okay to me but they can do better. Not digging the colors much too. Anyway, good luck with the whole advertising thing.

Regards,
Marie
  by Illinifan

Car 6097 on the UP currently has a wrap ad.
  by vxla

I spotted a red, wrapped car today in a southbound UP North Line train due in to Ogilvie around 5:45pm (I didn't get the car, nor the train number, since I was on the meeting train).
  by EricL

That's probably the Harris Bank ad wrap. It seems to stick mostly on the UP, lately.
  by byte

Oh darn. Haven't seen any ad-wraps in a while, was hoping they got rid of them...
  by AMTKHawkeye

Coach 6194 is also "Harris Wrapped" and running out of Western Avenue.