• Medford Branch Move!

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by GP40MC1118

BO-1 with MEC 505 went to the Medford Branch today
with 1 load!!

Can't remember the last move out here. Don't know
what the load was.

Dave

by tom18287

damn, just drove on it this am :(

by consist

Crystal Cold perhaps?
I saw a lone mechanical reefer in Yard 8 a few days ago. Haven't seen reefer traffic through there in a long time.

by cpf354

Yea, probably Crystal. AB(Bud) no longer uses rail, according to what I've read.

by thebigham

Where is the Medford Branch?

MA, right?

by Cosmo

thebigham wrote:Where is the Medford Branch?

MA, right?
Nope,
Oregon!
:-D
(Har!) :wink:

by Gerry6309

If you ride the Haverhill Line (or the Orange Line) between Wellington and Malden Center the tracks run through a short tunnel. The Medford Branch stays on the surface, crosses over the tunnel and runs in a westerly direction. It originally ran close to Medford Sq. but has been cut back east of I-93. It crosses Middlesex Av. at grade and passes under the Fellsway, ending just west of there. Google Map Fellsway, Medford, Massachusetts and switch to the satellite view to see where it is. Its very clear!
  by Ed Canney

Today I drove over the tracks of the Medford branch at Highland Ave. The crossing signals have been removed and the weeds have grown over the tracks. Has anyone heard if this line has been abandoned?
  by tom18287

they just went one it this year, i doubt its abandoned, it actually looks like they did some work on it and cleaned it up. they put up one of those rubber fence things i assume so it keeps contaminents from the train on the row, and not on abutters
  by riffian

GP40MC1118 wrote:BO-1 with MEC 505 went to the Medford Branch today
with 1 load!!
I guess this obiously means that the BO-1 has been reinstituted and that LOSA once again is feeding it cars?
  by FatNoah

The original post is from April. I ride the Orange Line to Oak Grove daily and have seen the same small tree branch on one of the rails, so it seems pretty clear that no loads have moved in some time.
  by GP40MC1118

The date of my original post is April 2008. No moves since.

BO-1 has not been reactivated. LA-2 is still running out of Lawrence to
Somerville, switching as needed. LOSA rarely, if ever, comes to Boston
anymore.

D