• MEC Turntable at Calais Maine

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by RRBUFF

The old turntable at the roundhouse in Calais Maine was removed along with the lead track last week. It was going to be recyled but I don't know where.
  by RRBUFF

The first train to operate from Calais to the Domtar Paper mill in Woodland Me. since GRS closed down the line on May 1 was handled by the New Brunswick Southern Railroad on Friday Oct 9th. Engine and 4 cars were delivered to the Mill.
  by Cowford

What do they receive now? Caustic soda? Does any pulp move by rail or is all moved over Eastport?
  by Highball

Calcium Chlorate and slurry are two chemicals received by rail at Woodland. Since Domtar took over ownership a few years ago, not much product moves by rail from the mill. It is trucked to Eastport and then loaded to ship. The previous owner of the Woodland Mill, Georgia Pacific, did ship a good amount by rail.

I understand NB Southern RR supplied a GP-38 for last Friday's train to Woodland. Supposedly, a SW 1200 switcher unit is being prepared from NB Southern shops in St. John N.B.,to power the trains over the branch.