• MEC snow plows are getting new paint jobs

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by MEC407

If somebody told me that Pan Am was applying new paint to their old MEC Russell snow plows, I wouldn't believe it... but here is photographic proof, thanks to Mr. Rod Bushway:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=225161

by CN9634

Perhaps we'll see another unit painted soon? I must admit those plows are rather sharp looking, even if it is Pan Am.

by MEC407

The big question in my mind is "Why?"

They've been languishing in faded MEC green for all these years... I can't help but wonder why they suddenly decided to paint 'em.

Maybe Mr. Mellon wasn't aware that there was still some MEC heritage in the world, and when he found out, he demanded that it be snuffed out. :P

by MEC407

Another shot by Mr. Bushway, featuring the 511:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=225201

by thebigham

Looks great, but sad to see the MEC green gone.

How many plows does PAR have?

by MEC407

At least two other MEC plows, and a few B&M plows.

by artman

sharp!

by Hoopyfrood

This probably explains the B&M plow that sat in Gardner for a week. It was probably waiting to be transferred to a train heading in the direction of wherever they are painting them. It's gone now so it may be up in line for the black Krylon.

by Gary Young

Hoopyfrood wrote:This probably explains the B&M plow that sat in Gardner for a week. It was probably waiting to be transferred to a train heading in the direction of wherever they are painting them. It's gone now so it may be up in line for the black Krylon.
""The plow in Gardner,Ma is back at East Deerfield,Ma.

by uhaul

Those plows sure look sharp. Notice that it says MEC 80 on the top of the plow.

by CN9634

Drove through Waterville today did not see a B&M plow however my view of the shops was obstructed by a train. I did notice a lot of boxcars waiting to be repainted I believe, one of which was a waffle box. I dont believe any waffle boxes have been painted pan am. I did however see the two plows up close and personal. They were parked out front so I could basically walk up to them and touch them. They look good but this is marking the end of an era. I remember seeing the plows in MEC Green and Gold all over Rigby or Waterville.

by mick

The plows were repainted
Last edited by mick on Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

by Guilford Guy

According to a conductor I know, they actually replaced the old friction bearing trucks, with roller bearing trucks.

by shadyjay

That B&M plow definetely could use a paint job - seems like there's more graffitti on it than B&M blue!