• MEC 501

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by PRRGuy

Hello all,
I was out taking a few pictures at my now closed Amtrak Station here in Whiting, IN and a westbound NS Freight came thru with 3 units on that head end. The middle unit was MEC 501 a four axle unit with a wide cab. MY question is..what it doing out here and why was it headed to Chicago? Also, it wasn't dead in consist, it was operating at the time.

by MEC407

Guilford has probably loaned it to NS to pay off horsepower hours. Guilford uses a lot of NS power on its coal trains, and thus owes NS a lot of horsepower hours.

MEC 501 is a GP40-2W, ex-Canadian National.

by PRRGuy

Ah, I see. That must be it, but it is rare to see that kind of power all the way out here.

by octr202

At one time, NS GP40s were regular residents on NS's New Jersey locals (like on the old D&LW territory, etc.). Apparently they would just send a couple Geeps to the NS for "extended leave" in return for all the coal trian power from NS taht runs through all the way to Bow NH, Mt. Tom, etc...

by PRRGuy

Interesting. I know that the railroad I work for (South Shore) gets pool power from the CSX now sometimes on the unit coal trains. Always makes for nice photos under the wire.

Also, I like your Signature, reminds me of when i take our trains to work. lol

by CSX Conductor

In many cases it saves a great deal of time to have power "run-through" from one carrier to the next. That's why many times UP power can be seen in NY on a van train, as well as the NS power that is always seen on the Mt. Tom coal train on Guilford.