• MDOT RDCs

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by nydepot

Looking for photos of MDOT RDCs in MDOT paint (pre-MARC). If you can help, please email me. This is for modeling purposes only. Thanks.

Charles
  by CTAA-Rail

I'm pretty sure any ones still around out at the Brunswick yards are still in MDOT colors, so that might be an option if you can't track down any photos from in-service.

by nydepot

That would be fine too but I really don't get down that way much so I was hoping someone on the list may have a photo (then or recent). Thanks.

Charles

by Otto Vondrak

Here's a link to a photo in MARC colors... still looking for MDOT....

(notice the lead car is MARC, the second unit seems to be MDOT)

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=45289

-otto-

by Otto Vondrak

MARC paint scheme:
http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=6884

B&O paint scheme:
http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=11061

But I can't find MDOT!! I've seen pics in magazines like Passenger Train Journal from the 1980s though...

-otto-
  by RailVet

Today I rode the excursion from Brunswick to Frederick and back and noticed two RDCs in the Brunswick yard. MARC hasn't operated RDCs for a number of years but apparently hasn't disposed of them, either. Does anyone know what MARC intends to do with them, other than have them sit in the yard indefinitely?

by matthewsaggie

Otto's picture of the B&O RDC's brought back memories. The second car in the shot was originally The lead car in a three RDC set that was used by the B&O on a Baltomore to Pittsburgh train called the "Speedliner" . You can still see the Speedliner name plate on the side of the car, along the window band. This car actually had a small 4 table dining section and a really small kitchen area. When I rode it was in the early 1970's and the car was being used in Camden line commuter service and still had the tables and kitchen section. I miss the RDC's and they all looked dignified in simple B&O markings.

While the lead unit appears to have painted on capital domes, many of the RDC's had an actual casting of the capital dome symbol on them.

by octr202

matthewsaggie wrote:Otto's picture of the B&O RDC's brought back memories. The second car in the shot was originally The lead car in a three RDC set that was used by the B&O on a Baltomore to Pittsburgh train called the "Speedliner" . You can still see the Speedliner name plate on the side of the car, along the window band. This car actually had a small 4 table dining section and a really small kitchen area. When I rode it was in the early 1970's and the car was being used in Camden line commuter service and still had the tables and kitchen section. I miss the RDC's and they all looked dignified in simple B&O markings.

While the lead unit appears to have painted on capital domes, many of the RDC's had an actual casting of the capital dome symbol on them.
I'm not sure, but I think that MARC 1 in Otto's first picture, at Point of Rocks, is one of the B&O Speedliner diners. If there was only one, then it's the same car in both photos. My memory of B&O RDC history is not very good.

I recall riding a CSXT employee & family excursion from Camden Station to Harper's Ferry circa 1988-89 (I was only about 12 at the time). About 7 or 8 RDCs (maybe as many as were serviceable at that point!). Made quite a sight, with many of them behaving like Alcos in the emissions department by then. I recall that they had MARC 1 in the lead westbound, and were allowing pretty much anyone to wander thru the kitchen and baggage area up to the cab. I think I rode from Brunswick to Harper's Ferry up there with a bunch of other employees, family members, kids, etc.

by Mike Morris

I have pics of them from the 80s along with a weird shot in 86 of one still wearing B and O paint.
The one shot with a unit in the back is indeed the paint scheme.
I have weird shots of them with "flat roofs" from the late 80s as well. I will dig them out. Also have the f units in that scheme too.
I can send them to you or try to have them scanned.
[email protected]

by matthewsaggie

Your right otcr202- I didn't even notice the first one- guess the orange markings put me off . :o) That said, it does look good in that picture.

by Robert Paniagua

I got to ride one of those RDCs from MARC in January and February 1987 when I lived in Germantown, it was a heck of a good ride, plus you could also look out the head end, the railbuff window was open.
  by rafi

RailVet wrote:Today I rode the excursion from Brunswick to Frederick and back and noticed two RDCs in the Brunswick yard. MARC hasn't operated RDCs for a number of years but apparently hasn't disposed of them, either. Does anyone know what MARC intends to do with them, other than have them sit in the yard indefinitely?
I made it a point to ask the MTA personnel about these units at tonight's Passenger Advisory Committee meeting. The RDC's have been out of revenue use since 1991 and the MTA is trying to figure out a way of getting rid of them. They're hesitant to sell them because of federal tax regulations on such a sale (not sure of the specifics), and they're mainly looking to donate them to a nonprofit entity (ie a museum). They're probably operational, but haven't been run in over 15 years.

I asked about using them for light commuter service. They've considered it, but based on what VIA rail spent to refurbish some of their RDCs, MTA estimates that it would cost upwards of $5 million per car. There is apparently a ton of asbestos in them as well.

Their continued presence in the yard is just one of those things that tends to get lost in the shuffle, and time slowly ticks by. They'll eventually show up in a museum, in all likelihood.

-Rafi

by Tadman

Bob harris could use them - he's the guy trying to reactive some NS trackage in South Bend, IN, to run shuttles from the South Shore station to Notre Dame for football games. I'll put a notice on the CSS forum that these are up for grabs [somewhat].

by rafi

Tadman wrote:Bob harris could use them - he's the guy trying to reactive some NS trackage in South Bend, IN, to run shuttles from the South Shore station to Notre Dame for football games. I'll put a notice on the CSS forum that these are up for grabs [somewhat].
Do let me know if I can be of any help as a conduit to the MTA. I'd be happy to pass along any interested parties to the appropriate people.

-Rafi
  by RailVet

Rafi:

I've very interested in the disposition of the RDCs. Please let me know which office to contact in the MTA. Thanks!