• MBTA Subway/Commuter Rail Models

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by 3rdrail

That sounds very interesting. I don't know if that's ever been done before. The fun with that would be putting in all the loops and extensions that aren't used now, ie. Tremont Street to Broadway, Scollay, Adams, etc., in addition to the Central Subway as it is used now. As such, merely by using various routings, you could emulate any time period that you wanted and run any Boston car that you wished prototypically. :-)
  by jrc520

That's part of the plan - though I am debating installing "Government Center", as the changes are a bit more than ignoring a switch. I was looking at Rollsign july/aug 2010, and I'd have to do a TON of work for that.

As for routing, I'm going to start looking at DCC, and seeing if I can create a computer program to control everything, and throw all the switches.

Biggest issue I just thought of is weight - I'm suspending this from the ceiling, so weight would be a minor issue, save for switch machines.
  by 3rdrail

Consider eye level also. This gives a nice "subway" perspective with some ground level scenery (The Common, etc.) above. Don't forget Charlie !
  by jrc520

Oh, I wish I could do eye level - I don't have the space :-( The wife has declared that it must be up high. (We live in a two bedroom condo, and the "man cave" is subject to being turned into a baby room at any point.) That said, there will be plexiglass to allow people to see, and when money and time permits, I will have a camera car:-D
  by 3rdrail

It's all good. You'll be indoctrinating your little person as a rail buff early on. :-)
  by jrc520

Oh yes indeed. Just don't tell the wife ;-)

I shall post more details as I plan - for now, work wants me in early.
  by djimpact1

I have been in the process of converting my wife's grandfather's old train table (which was dishearteningly torn-up after his death) into a 2-level train table, with almost-ready "subway level" and eventual "street level" travel.

I have 7 Boeing LRVs (4 brand new, yes!) and 2 PCCs (which I'm updating to T signage) which will run on these tracks. One of the Boeings runs a little rough, and has a few body details missing, so I thought it would be good to have a "work car" to test the track I've been laying out...one which I won't mind taking "bumps" in doing clearance tests.

The result...my remodeled Boeing LRV based off of MBTA rerailer/work car # 3417. (FYI, yes I know the real 3417 is without a rollsign, but heck, it seemed appropriate to put the rollsign entry that I did on this!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Adams_Umass_Boston

Looks pretty good.

I too hope someday to have a double deck layout. I have this idea how the bottom will be all underground tunnel.
  by BostonUrbEx

Very cool, I hope we can see a video of 3417 running sometime soon!
  by diburning

djimpact1 wrote:I have been in the process of converting my wife's grandfather's old train table (which was dishearteningly torn-up after his death) into a 2-level train table, with almost-ready "subway level" and eventual "street level" travel.

I have 7 Boeing LRVs (4 brand new, yes!) and 2 PCCs (which I'm updating to T signage) which will run on these tracks. One of the Boeings runs a little rough, and has a few body details missing, so I thought it would be good to have a "work car" to test the track I've been laying out...one which I won't mind taking "bumps" in doing clearance tests.

The result...my remodeled Boeing LRV based off of MBTA rerailer/work car # 3417. (FYI, yes I know the real 3417 is without a rollsign, but heck, it seemed appropriate to put the rollsign entry that I did on this!)
How did you do that? Did you paint or decal it? I want one! I have an MBTA Boeing and a MUNI Boeing in my collection.
  by ck4049

How ironic that I was planning on doing a model of the 3417 just as I read this! Good luck on your project!
  by djimpact1

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. I really appreciate it!
diburning wrote:How did you do that? Did you paint or decal it? I want one! I have an MBTA Boeing and a MUNI Boeing in my collection.
You're too kind diburning...it's a combination of both methods. I will disclose, concerning non-paint detail, nothing I used was factory-made/mass-produced. It certainly would be fun making another work car sometime. I hope you enjoy running your Boeings as much as I have/will, moreso when my subway-level is complete.
  by Adams_Umass_Boston

Will you put a clear coat over it to preserve the decals?
  by djimpact1

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote:Will you put a clear coat over it to preserve the decals?
I have thought of that option, and am certainly considering it. At this point, since I keep it in a dark/dry spot (where the "elements" are ideal) when not running, I'm not too worried about fading/quick aging.

Besides, since I created the decals & have them at my disposal on my computer, I can replace them as necessary as time goes on.

But let's be honest, when the T's vehicles start to fade/chip, do they repaint/touch-up right away?! ;-)
  by Adams_Umass_Boston

djimpact1 wrote: But let's be honest, when the T's vehicles start to fade/chip, do they repaint/touch-up right away?! ;-)
Very true.

I found a PCC shell years ago, it too was missing the windows. To hid the interior stuff, I glued and lined the interior with wax paper. It looked professional.