• MBTA Service & the Patriots Victory Parade today

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by NellsChoo

Heard on the scanner this morning all sorts of extra trains being full. I take it, then, that the Patriots parade is the cause. At least this will bring in some revenue for the T.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

yea, but if the cars get too packed, the conductors can't get through, where does the T get these extra trainsets? they said a train would depart RTE 128 every 15 minutes!!! do they pull sets from other lines?

by pdxstreetcar

I rode on the special T train from Providence to Boston for the Red Sox Parade in October and the conductors didnt even come around to collect tickets.

by Stephen

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050
...where does the T get these extra trainsets?
These trains are running mostly during the mid-day, so the spare capacity is available. I believe that after 5:00 its back to a normal schedule.
- Stephen

by NellsChoo

I was hearing the chatter around 8:30am.

by CSX Conductor

As Stephen mentioned, they are trainsets & crews that are on their 'release time' between theAM & PM rush hours. :wink:

by efin98

Question for those who are in the know: are those crews paid overtime or are they still on the clock(so to speak) for the day during that time?

If they are still on the clock, I think it's a good use of personnel and equiptment that are laying fallow for hours. If not, it's at least an attempt to utilize equiptment laying fallow for those hours even if it is costing alot more than is being taken in in ticket revenue...

by CSX Conductor

Ed, ever since the MBTA was kicked out of SouthHampton Street most equipment is dead-headed to the Readville facility after the morning rush and then dead-headed back into Boston just before the evening commute.

As for pay: T&E crews that are 'on release' are paid at a rate which is half their normal hourly rate, which reduces the Hours of Service. Remember, T&E service employees can only work a maximum of 12 hours, so if a crew is on release for 4 hours during the off-peak, that is the same as only 2 hours toward their hours of service. (I may be mistaken on this, but I am pretty sure this is the way it is set up, perhaps Snoozer or Sery could be of more help.) :wink: