• MBTA pass. cars

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

why are the MBTA passenger cars limited to 80 mph?

by CSX Conductor

Other than the manufacturer's suggestion, no idea.

by ST214

I don't know, but the 600's should not go that fast. When the brakes are applied at 80MPH, it makes one hell of a racket, and the cars start bouncing around. This behavior is absent on the 700's and 1700's.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

because i was reading on the Amtrak forum, that the New york area commuter rails, have the same single level cars as us and they run at 100 mph for MAS, and the Kawasaki's also can run 100 mph
hsr_fan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
What was the max operating speed of the UA Turbo in revenue service?

Quote:
It would be a big help if MBTA had equipment that was capable
of 100+ MPH speeds

Not to get too far off topic, but why is MBTA's current equipment limited to 80? The single level cars look similar to NJ Transit's 100 mph Comet coaches, the Kawasaki bilevels look identical to MARC's 100+ mph bilevel cars, and the diesels can certainly be geared for 100 mph as they are elsewhere.

by AEM7AC920

I don't think a GP40MC and anything over 70 mixes will, especially with a set of doubles. :wink:

by SnoozerZ49

I have it from a very reputable source that the limit imposed on the speed that the MBTA's fleet can operate is based on testing done at the US DOT test center at Pueblo Colorado.

It has been determined through advanced scientific testing that bubble gum, bailing wire, super glue and spit can not withstand the "g" forces of any higher speeds.

by SnoozerZ49

One more point, what makes you think any of the "boat anchors' that the T calls engines could go any faster?

by ST214

Hey snoozer, they're all boat anchors except for the screamers!!! THe other F40's were great, until they rebuilt them.

by BC Eagle

My exposure to the commuter rail has been limited. When I have been on it, it hasn't seemed to me that the trains were going all that fast. On what lines do they get up to 80 mph?

by CSX Conductor

BC Eagle wrote:On what lines do they get up to 80 mph?
Only on the Attleboro/Providence Line. (plus the Franklin Stoughton & Needham when on the main between Back Bay & Readville).

by StevieC48

CSX Conductor so the speed deamons are on the South Side correct? ;)

by octr202

Don't the Old Colony lines have 79-mph sections?

by CSX Conductor

octr202 wrote:Don't the Old Colony lines have 79-mph sections?
No, just referenced the MBCR Timetable to be accurate. The max on the Old Colony is 70MPH. Between Pearl & Plymouth on the Plymouth Line.....and between Pearl & Bay on the Middleboro Line (both lines has many lower speed restrictions at various points, but max is 70MPH)

by BC Eagle

How fast do the trains get on the North Side? What is the max speed there?

by typesix

Unless the T ordered a different gear ratio, F40s had a 103 mph gearing which was standard for F40s.