• MBTA Land in West Roxbury

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by highgreen215

That was the Charles River Loop. It was repaved a year or two ago but part of one rail is still visible. Interestingly the Charles River buses are now signed for CHARLES RIVER LOOP. Previously all streetcars, TTs and buses on that run were signed simply CHARLES RIVER.

As of the late 1940's the double track continued past the Loop and after a short distance merged into a single track which ran out onto the bridge. Years before that the single-tracked line continued on to Needham. One of the benefits of living so long is to clearly recall seeing a rail grinder car parked alone in the middle of the bridge for a weekend - quite a sight.
  by Teamdriver

SOCO11 wrote:I grew up in that area. I remember the tracks being occasionally used as far as the wye that is now the athletic field next to Staples in Dedham. There was a dock there that would have flats next to it. The tracks ran to what is now the recycling center behind the Dedham Mall and were overgrown past that point even in the early 70’s. At the Star Market end in WR there were several paved over tracks in the parking lot that caused issues for my father when he plowed their lot. I wonder if they were ever pulled up or just buried under many layers of pavement?

I think I remember the scenario you describe, and the tracks going further southward towards Lechmeres ,and that there was an oil company, Churchills ? , that got serviced by it.
  by highgreen215

Fisher-Churchill. Still In business but in East Dedham.
  by Teamdriver

These are the tracks crossing Eastern Ave, the second picture looks toward where the oil cars were dropped.

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=33704" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by CRail on Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.