• MBTA Derailment South of Haverhill

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by dbperry

I also don't think pre-dawn deadheads are in the mix just to have a train move over tracks that have been idle overnight. From what I understand, deadhead moves are due to either inadequate layover space, the need to keep sets in the city for overnight maintenance, or for crew considerations (can't have a crew start and end their day at different places). I've never heard of using a deadhead train as a de facto inspection service.
  by Type 7 3684

206, 211, and 1635 were the coaches involved. They're all out of service for repairs.
  by DutchRailnut

FRA rules, a wheel if it derails and travels more than x amount of feet off rail, needs to be replaced .
cause bearings could be damaged or wheel plate could have internal cracks
  by BostonUrbEx

The CPF FY/Frye switch was reinstalled in its entirety. They must have also repaired all the track damage to Track 2.
  by sery2831

dbperry wrote:With four sets 'trapped' at the Ballard layover, why couldn't that equipment be routed through the Lawrence Yard and sent around the derailed train on those yard leads? I understand that couldn't have been done with passengers aboard, and it might have even required a PAR pilot, but wouldn't that have been better than leaving them stranded all day?
Our trains can pass through the yard with no pilot and no passengers. The point where the yard and the main goes back to single track was the place of the derailment(CPF-FRYE), so there was no way to move anything west of Lawrence Yard. The train traveled some distance before it stopped. The new interlocking CPF-JK is partially in service, signals work on all tracks but the only Track 2 to yard is operable for crossovers.

And to clear somethings up. The speed there is 60 and this train was doing track speed. This is a scheduled train(#3701) and is to fill a void in Bradford due to space. There are no overnight or early AM track inspections, ALL track patrols are done during the day BETWEEN AM and PM rush hours.
  by dbperry

sery2831 wrote: The point where the yard and the main goes back to single track was the place of the derailment(CPF-FRYE), so there was no way to move anything west of Lawrence Yard. The train traveled some distance before it stopped.
My goodness. Amazing those sets stayed upright for that distance.
  by sery2831

Derailed cars were 211-206-1635 for those wondering. The loco(1122) and head two cars that didn't derail are in service.
  by Type 7 3684

I had mentioned the derailed cars in a post above. Would most of the damage to the train be done to the wheels/equipment underneath the train?
  by jbvb

Do I understand correctly that the broken rail derailed the cars somewhere around (B&M) MP 23.6 (west of Frye)? They stopped (per photos and my track chart) very close to MP 25. So the half-derailed train passed one, maybe two road underpasses, the Shawsheen depot, the Shawsheen River fill and culvert, the I-495 overpass and the So. Union St. overpass. Lot of close clearances, considerable potential for a much worse accident. Has anyone reported where the train was put into emergency?
  by BostonUrbEx

jbvb wrote:Has anyone reported where the train was put into emergency?
It wasn't. The crew felt a bump at Frye and brought it down to a stop to inspect the train.
  by 8th Notch

BostonUrbEx wrote:
jbvb wrote:Has anyone reported where the train was put into emergency?
It wasn't. The crew felt a bump at Frye and brought it down to a stop to inspect the train.
Not to mention dumping it isn't always the best solution!
  by litz

Type 7 3684 wrote:I had mentioned the derailed cars in a post above. Would most of the damage to the train be done to the wheels/equipment underneath the train?
If it doesn't turn over, then yes
  by litz

8th Notch wrote: Not to mention dumping it isn't always the best solution!
The best stop is always a controlled stop (if possible).

there is nothing controlled about an emergency application ... once you dump the air, you're nothing but another passenger along for the ride.
  by Rockingham Racer

litz wrote:
8th Notch wrote: Not to mention dumping it isn't always the best solution!
The best stop is always a controlled stop (if possible).

there is nothing controlled about an emergency application ... once you dump the air, you're nothing but another passenger along for the ride.
I like that analysis. :wink: