Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Clean Cab

Word has it that an MBTA MP-36 (#010) and 5 coaches will be making a move from South Norwalk to Danbury this Friday evening. I'm trying to get more details but this is certainly a good chance to see and photograph a rather unusual consist on the Danbury Branch.
  by Amtrak7

How/why is it in South Norwalk?
  by Clean Cab

The info I have is the train will run down the Shoreline to CP 241 and go up to Danbury and be interchanged with HRR. Why? I have no idea. I'm shocked that MBTA would loan out one of their new MP-36's for such a move.
  by runningwithscalpels

Wow, sounds it'd be interesting to see - I might have to venture down to Danbury on Friday then!
  by Backshophoss

With what cars? bi-level "K" cars,Rotems,or the basic BBD single level coaches and cab car?
HRRC is running them where? This is unreal.
  by NH2060

IIRC the Kawasakis and Rotems are not allowed on Amtrak west of RI and are too tall for passage west of New Haven so Bombardier/MBB coaches are a sure thing. Will sure be an interesting sight to see. Get your cameras, etc. ready folks!
  by ck4049

Why would ANY MBTA equipment venture down there?
  by Clean Cab

Backshophoss wrote:With what cars? bi-level "K" cars,Rotems,or the basic BBD single level coaches and cab car?
HRRC is running them where? This is unreal.
The cars are as follows.........
All cars are single levels, MBB cars, Bombardier & Pullman cars. I have no individual car numbers, nor do I know how many of each will be in the consist. I was thinking of making the trip to Danbury to see it and get some pictures/video, but I think it will go up the branch after 6870 leaves South Norwalk and that would make it's hand off to HRR well past midnight. It may not be worth the trip.
  by Backshophoss

After checking in the MBTA forum,this is turning into a MassDOT PR move for Pittsfield-GCT service over the not so great track of
HRRC,the same weekend of the CSX turning dispatch control of the former B+A main from Worcester to CP-3 over to MBCR control.
CSX Hates passenger trains,so this explains the move from Boston's south side to Sono, then up the Branch to Danbury,then to HRRC.
HRRC then makes the run to Pittsfield for the PR event.
This is still a bit unreal to believe right now
  by NH2060

Backshophoss wrote:After checking in the MBTA forum,this is turning into a MassDOT PR move for Pittsfield-GCT service over the not so great track of
HRRC,the same weekend of the CSX turning dispatch control of the former B+A main from Worcester to CP-3 over to MBCR control.
CSX Hates passenger trains,so this explains the move from Boston's south side to Sono, then up the Branch to Danbury,then to HRRC.
HRRC then makes the run to Pittsfield for the PR event.
This is still a bit unreal to believe right now
And let's not forget that HRRC would love to reap the benefits of any money thrown at the Berkshire Line. They've already tried to get their own passenger train enough attention that they would get some sort of funding (which would certainly include improvements for 50-60mph+ service).

I find it hard to believe and rather unreasonable valuable equipment is being taken out of rotation on a weekday instead of a weekend for a Magical Mystery Tour PR event. But with that being said this again is a rare photo opportunity not to be missed so all you photographers and Youtubers man your stations!- so to speak ;-)
  by runningwithscalpels

After Housy gets their paws on the stuff do we think it's going to be a dark of night, keep going thing or postponed til daylight? You would think if they're trying to showboat for publicity they'd want to do this during the day, no? (I know for convenience the move to Danbury should be a nighttime thing.)

Does anyone know when this mysterious PR event is supposed to unfold?
  by ck4049

Backshophoss wrote: This is still a bit unreal to believe right now
^Exactly what I am thinking. Odds are pretty much 400/1.
  by Trainer

With a little more notice, this could have been a combined MNCR/MBTA/HRR rare mileage rail fan excursion. Not that you'd see much at night, of course, but it would be one for the books.
  by piker

What a great idea! Take the brand new locomotive and the irreplaceable commuter equipment for a ride in the country. What could possibly go wrong?
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

piker wrote:What a great idea! Take the brand new locomotive and the irreplaceable commuter equipment for a ride in the country. What could possibly go wrong?
It'll be a rare opportunity to get a close railfan view of 010's trucks when it's sitting on its side in a ditch.