• Maximum grades on HO layout

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Colorado GW

I’m planning my first layout from scratch and have a few questions about grades. What is the steepest grade you can build into a HO Layout, and how do you figure out what the grade is?

I'm planning on using a Atlas GP-35 locomotive, and want to put in a raised track about six over a lower track with them being connected and on the same table.

by ANDY117

I wouldn't go with more than a 2% grade

by stuart_iowa

well the grade is how high the tracks are over a distance

to keep it simple for every foot of track you have long, raise the track 1/4 (0.25) inches. to get the 4 inches you need to get high enough to pass over another section of track you need at least 10 feet of run.

for my last layout where was a grade i raised the track 4 inches in 8 feet , and I have done it in as little as 5 feet, but that was very steep and was not good for all locomotives or cars.......but It work.

try keep it even grade all the way up and all the way down
stuart

by keeper1616

It also depends on whether or not it is straight track or curved track. I go with no more than 1.5% grades on mainline, 2.0% on branch lines and no more than 4.0% on very short industrial sidings and flyovers where it is likely to be no more than one car and the engine.

If you factor a curve into the equation, I belive its 32/R where R=radius of curve. (more in 1/05 MR, page 105)

I hope this helps

by trainiac

I agree with the above--my grades are at most 2% (I went by a half-inch every 2 feet). I allow 3.5 inches of clearance, which is just enough for doublestacks.

by CIOR

I think its common thinking that leads most of us to 2%. Although, if your layout is small enough and trains are short enough, 4% can be well hidden.

by CRail

The Actual limit for real trains is 3%. Percentages can be calculated using any unit. 100 units over and 2 units up would be 2%. The units can be anything, inches, feet, miles, millimeters, you name it, it will alwayse work.