• Mattawamkeag ME Questions

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by KSmitty

I'm wondering a couple things about the Keag and surrounding areas, hoping I could get some help.

-Who operates the yard in town, PAR or NBSR?
-The building on Green Rd. that borders the tracks, what is this and does it see rail service?
-What are there for customers in the area on either NBSR or PAR?
-Are PAR's trains to/from Keag still BAMA/MABA to NMJ and then the runthru WASJ/SJWA from St. John to Waterville?
-What are NBSR's trains to/from or through the area?

Thanks
  by doublestack

Kevin, my buddy and I were up that neck of the woods last month scouting for bird hunting areas. We had a great lunch in that little restaurant across from the freight yard. The local, a Guilford EMD jeep, was switching some cars around on the north side yard . Not far from there in Bancroft we found a siding with several empty pulpwood flats. It appears their loading these cars right there in the middle of a new logging area. That's the only activity we saw.

Peter
  by newpylong

As far as I know WASJ/SJWA are the only jobs up there...
  by 3rdKeag

I can't tell you what is but I can tell you pretty much what was in the late '60s-early ''70s. The yard was MEC's therefore it's probably PAR's today. I can't tell you street names (there weren't enough streets to have to know names) and no longer have a detailed map of the area but the only industry that was there when I owned 3rd Keag was the clothespin factory which was located on the east side of the tracks about half way between the station and the US2 crossing and it was served by MEC. The only other MEC business at Mattawamkeag was a small fuel oil consignee (Texaco, if I remember correctly) directly behind the station, and the pulpwood yard MEC track-west of the US2 crossing. CPR did not have any shippers/consignees in the Mattawamkeag area. The Joint Track, Keag to Vanceboro was at the time still MEC owned and operated.
  by KSmitty

Thanks.
  by markhb

Out of curiosity, since someone mentioned Bancroft, does anyone know why the village/neighborhood of South Bancroft is actually northeast of Bancroft proper? Is it by any chance related to a timetable direction or something similar?
  by trainsinmaine

Bancroft has suburbs??
  by JB283

When i was back home in the summer of 2009, i was visiting relitives that live near Mattawamkeag and the power/crew where on the scanner calling themselves OT2 and OT1 and MABA and BAMA. But that was then.
  by JB283

For those that are interested - In Mattawakeag, there is a 40ft Maine Central green boxcar with one set of trucks pushed of into the dirt at the edge of the wood line in the old wood yard. Also, behind the Perma Treat building there is an old B&M boxcar. Im not sure of the size though. It looks like is got the B & M logo in the shape of a cross.

http://photos.greatrails.net/showpic/?p ... &key=jason

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ate&page=1

And here are 2 MEC Boxcars at Enfield. One is a 40ftr and the other is a 50ftr. Both in green paint.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... &key=jason
  by soday

Jason - thanks for posting those relics -- Question - the mill had a sign for Perma Treat and Pan Am on an office bulding - are they one in the same with what they do? IE Pan AM grinds up Ties and PT does something to the ground up product? I ventured down the spur into the mill a little bit but did not go to the end by that boxcar...

On a near Keag note - You said you hail from Winn, MP 3 , did you note an old boxcar next to the derelict building along Depot street and US RT 2? It was pretty rusted so I could not tell what it was. On that same property was an old "Michigan" front end loader as well. Across the street are two old GMC trucks (1950s?) with a logo for "Milford ___" and they were equiped with pulp cranes. What a neat little village complete with a few vintage vehicles. I took a walk up to the remnants of what appeared to be an old depot that rotted and collapsed. I even spotted an old wooden culvert under the mainline at the depot site - at least I think it was a culvert.

I will post more pics tonight on Nerail....and more notes and questions....
  by MEC407

soday wrote:Question - the mill had a sign for Perma Treat and Pan Am on an office bulding - are they one in the same with what they do?
Perma Treat is a subsidiary of Pan Am Systems. See http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 55&t=66002
  by JB283

That old rusted out Boxcar is to the best of my memory a Maine Central Boxcar with green Paint. When i was a kid i remember seeing the stencling on it. Im not sure about the other old relics in town though. I have got some more pictures that i can post too. I will do that with in the next few days or so. Not tonight though, im 6hrs ahead of the east coast time zone. To the best of my knowledge there use to be a station in Winn with its own siding that made it a double track over the road. In 2009 when i was home last, that siding ended in a pile of dirt on the side of the road. Between there and Keag is a place where they sell and fix up woods machinary. I took a ride up there and looked around with my cousin in the summer of 09 and there are/were 1 or 2 BAR boxcars up there being used for storage. I dont have any pics of them.

I am originally from Winn yes. But in the mid 1990s my family moved to Enfield. From Enfield I joined the Army and got sent to Germany. And here i am still, since 2002...
  by Dick H

JB283. Thanks for your comments about "Keag" area rail facilities.
And thank you for your service to our country. Take care.
  by JB283

That green storage Boxcar in Keag that is used for storage by the NBSR/EMRY near the station is of CP Rail heritage. If you look carefully, unless its been painted within the last 2 years, says on the side - Canadian Pacific Railway - It can/could be made out through the faded paint.
  by JB283

I have recently been trying out Bing Maps. So far i have noticed its got better resolution then Google Earth. I was looking at the former CP Rail trackage on the map west of the Penobscot River. The map shows either double track and what might be at one place triple track. Can anyone confirm that with pictures or just from having seen it for themselves? It also shows that there are 2 frieght cars set out there in Bing Maps. I dont know how old the pic is though. Any info would be useful.