• Mass Central N W 5

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by gashat

Does the mass central still have their nw5 and if so where is it located?

by Guilford Guy

I believe they do and I have seen it many times lashed up in Palmer

by w.r.branch

For several months, the 2100 has been stored near the Granary Restaurant in Ware, north of the underpass of Routes 9 and 32. Over a year ago it was vandalized while sitting at about MP2 in Palmer.

by mxdata

Any details of how badly it was damaged and what the railroad's plans for it might be? Even vandalized, this is a pretty rare unit, it would be a shame to see it get scrapped. Thanks!

by NellsChoo

We've been wondering why it has been parked out there. Doesn't look too bad! Hmmm... After all, though, how much power would a little road like that need?

JD

by Dick H

The Mass Central started operations in 1979 with a Whitcomb 44 tonner locomotive built in 1940 #401. Maybe someone knows the prior history of that locomotive.

Anyway, after the larger locomotives arrived, this was stored at Ware for many years, adjacent to the Rt.9 underpass. Approximately, ten years ago, management decided to scrap it. There was some interest in preserving it. However, it ultimately got cut up.

The MCER has undergone some management changes since that, so I don't know if the same fate might await the NW5 if it is no longer repairable. The MCER #2100 is one of just 13 NW5's built, and the only one ever owned by the Southern Railway, same number. I do not know how many other NW5's still exist, but at least two exist in Michigan and Florida. Run the link below for more information on the NW5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_NW5

Dick H

by SnoozerZ49

At the present time the NW-5 is on the servicing pit at Palmer. It looks like it is having wheel work done on it. The unit was rebuilt with a AAR control stand and is now positioned for short hood forward operation.