• Markers on sections of trains

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by BR&P

Who's up on old-time rules? We know that when a train was to be run in sections, the lead engine of all sections, except the last one, would display a green flag by day and green lights by night. And the train as a whole was considered to extend from the front of the engine of the first section to the end of the last section. If #55 was running in 3 sections and you had orders to meet #55 at Podunk, that meant ALL sections of #55 unless you had train orders to the contrary.

What was displayed on the rear of 1/55's caboose? I seem to recall it was NOT regular markers, as that would indicate the rear of the train -which by the rules it was NOT. But surely they had something to warn following movements. A red lantern on the railing maybe? And when 1/55 went in a siding they evidently could not turn the markers to yellow or green to show they were in the clear - if a red lantern was used was that brought inside the caboose?

Obviously not something we need to know for today's railroading, but an interesting topic for discussion anyway.

by route_rock

Hmmm me thinks it was just a section without the green flags. I have a few rule books from that era I will look it up for you. I got to go on a second section in this day and age fora Q or Quagmire train ( HA HA BNSF doesnt like us calling them that but when your underpowered and the local catches you :wink: )

by NHRDC121

According to a NY, NH & H/CNE rulebook (1914)-----
Rule 20. All sections except the last will display two green flags, and in addition, two green lights by night, in the places provided for that purpose on the front of the engine.

Rule 19, which deals with markers for the rear of passenger trains makes NO special requirements for extra sections or extra trains, they are all the same. Yellow to the side and front and red to the rear while on the main, and yellow to the rear and side and red to the front when on a siding. There are other requirements for multiple 3/4 track and running against the current of traffic, also.