• Marion an "EMD" shop?

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

by RAS

Years ago a person who worked at Marion Diesel Shop mentioned to me that it was an "EMD" shop. As I recall it, he was not referring to the types of locomotives maintained and serviced there, which obviously included most manufacturers products used on the railroad, but rather to the shop building itself. Does anyone know any additional details of a link between Marion Diesel Shop and EMD?

by calorosome

Marion's specialty was Alcos according to the H. Roger Grant book Erie Lackawanna The Death of an American Railroad. Marion forces had to show CR the ropes on Alcos when EL ceased to exist. Excellent book on the behind-the-scenes details of the corporate railroad world.
  by Matt Langworthy

calorosome wrote:Marion's specialty was Alcos according to the H. Roger Grant book Erie Lackawanna The Death of an American Railroad. Marion forces had to show CR the ropes on Alcos when EL ceased to exist. Excellent book on the behind-the-scenes details of the corporate railroad world.
No other RR has a book quite like that one- it really gives the unvarnished truth (both pro and con). I am surprised to hear Marion called an "EMD shop" because the yard and local power was dominated by Alco S-1s, S-2s and RS-3s. Marion did handle alot of the regular maintenance on Alcos and GEs, but Hornell handled the overhauls, repaints and rebuilds like RS-3 #1057 which was built out of parts, and also the sole RS-3m. The various books about EL from Morning Sun have excellent pics to back this up.

by Brad Smith

No other RR has a book quite like that one- it really gives the unvarnished truth (both pro and con).
I agree, and in my mind, commissioning that book was a final act of class by the estate trustees. The Erie had a shady past, and EL repeatedly shot themselves in the foot during their 16 year existence, but the liquidation was done with class and dignity, IMO, and sent the EL out with head held high. Compare that with the PC disappearing in disgrace or some of the other Conrail roads which just kind of faded away.

Sorry to stray.
  by H.F.Malone

I think what was meant by that phrase was that it was built to a standard EMD design. In the early-mid 40s, the diesel (and its maintenance practices) were new to the railroads, and part of EMD's marketing of diesel power (in addition to the field support, parts inventories, etc.) was providing designs for diesel-specific shop facilities. I seem to recall there were designs for road locos, and smaller shop designs for branchline/switcher services. The Erie's Jersey City diesel shop was apparently also an EMD design.

Marion was at the west end of the territory the 1944 EMD FT units opertated over, so it was a logical location for a shop.

by 498

Yes, Marion Diesel Shop is a very nice example of one of the "large combined running shop and backshop" designs from EMD. They offered a variety of shop designs in the 1940s to assist their customers receiving new locomotives, and also supplied designs for fixtures, tooling, inspection platforms, fueling facilities, etc.

by Nelson Bay

In the late 60's and early 70's GE and EMD had service representatives stationed at Marion.

by mxdata

Railroad Model Craftsman has announced a feature on the EMD designed diesel shops in their notices of upcoming articles. I believe it is going to be in the April issue.