• MARC Rail bill to require Holocaust disclosure target Keolis

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by realtype

Yeah this is all definitely political grandstanding. Someone with too much time on their hands did some research and found this obscure piece of information and called their rep in the General Assembly who took it as an opportunity to gain some spotlight. I don't think most Americans/Marylanders really care (I sure don't and I would rather Amtrak got the contract). Half the cars in this country are Japanese and German. Mitsubishi fighters attacked Pearl Harbor and Hitler practically started Volkswagen (VW). If you try hard enough you can trace practically any entity to any other one.
  by jb9152

Steampowered wrote:
jb9152 wrote:There is no conspiracy "theory" here...I have it on fairly good authority from someone who would know. I don't know which companies, but I think the theory that it's Keolis' competitors who are pushing this is pretty credible.

Fail
Wrong. Win. I actually work in the passenger rail industry, and have for all of my adult life. You comment on message boards.

Fail fail.
  by jb9152

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:
jb9152 wrote:There is no conspiracy "theory" here...I have it on fairly good authority from someone who would know. I don't know which companies, but I think the theory that it's Keolis' competitors who are pushing this is pretty credible.
Ok, maybe I shouldve wrote its not a conspiracy theory on Amtrak's part. Better?Haha. Well everyone thought it was a conspiracy theory that Amtrak was trying to sabatoge Keolis when they were awarded the VRE contract because of the more stricter requirements to be qualified within Washington Treminal. The fact of the matter was, I was put through those same requirements when I came over from Septa 3 years ago. These were put in place by the rules department because of a few Opps that has happened throughout the USA, not because they were salty that they lost the VRE contract. Cobra( a friend and VRE engineer) has said that Amtrak treats the VRE guys pretty good and tries to handle the trains timely into and out of the yard.
Sorry, Budd. Not meaning to impugn you. I just wanted to make it clear that I have heard this from people very high up in the industry, who work for companies that would be involved. I can't be more specific than that, unfortunately, but I had a very interesting conversation with someone over dinner that made it fairly plain to me that the supposition in high industry circles is that it is Keolis' competitors who are fanning these flames. Specific companies were not mentioned. I apologize if I came across as if I was arguing with your point.

Ironically, this whole thing has actually had a somewhat positive affect as well for Keolis, SNCF, etc., since they now get to tell their story, which is actually quite heroic.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Jp, I havent thought an argument was being started by you, and personally, if an argument were to be started, Id rather be done by a professional such as yourself , instead of the many wacko's on here that claim they know how to do railroading better :) .I have no doubt that a company is fanning these flames but as I mentioned, I doubt Amtrak is doing it and if they are, shame on them or on any company that has started this. I like competition that is fair, but this isnt fair. Memories of horror from years gone by shouldnt be revoked just for the sake of blocking an award for a contract.
  by chucksc

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Jp, I havent thought an argument was being started by you, and personally, if an argument were to be started, Id rather be done by a professional such as yourself , instead of the many wacko's on here that claim they know how to do railroading better :) .I have no doubt that a company is fanning these flames but as I mentioned, I doubt Amtrak is doing it and if they are, shame on them or on any company that has started this. I like competition that is fair, but this isnt fair. Memories of horror from years gone by shouldnt be revoked just for the sake of blocking an award for a contract.
Hey quit picking on us wackos! :)
  by BuddSilverliner269

chucksc wrote:
BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Jp, I havent thought an argument was being started by you, and personally, if an argument were to be started, Id rather be done by a professional such as yourself , instead of the many wacko's on here that claim they know how to do railroading better :) .I have no doubt that a company is fanning these flames but as I mentioned, I doubt Amtrak is doing it and if they are, shame on them or on any company that has started this. I like competition that is fair, but this isnt fair. Memories of horror from years gone by shouldnt be revoked just for the sake of blocking an award for a contract.
Hey quit picking on us wackos! :)
Not you pal. They know who Im talking about . Besides, do you have a guilty conscience?Haha. Im a rail wacko as well, but I have my experiences on the railroad to back up what I have to say.
  by cobra30689

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Well everyone thought it was a conspiracy theory that Amtrak was trying to sabatoge Keolis when they were awarded the VRE contract because of the more stricter requirements to be qualified within Washington Terminal. The fact of the matter was, I was put through those same requirements when I came over from Septa 3 years ago. These were put in place by the rules department because of a few Opps that has happened throughout the USA, not because they were salty that they lost the VRE contract. Cobra( a friend and VRE engineer) has said that Amtrak treats the VRE guys pretty good and tries to handle the trains timely into and out of the yard.
It was an eye opener with the August NEC GO update that CLEARLY reflected the new requirements LOL.....but speaking for me, the Amtrak guys have been good, and although we both know K Tower has its moments, they've never thrown me a curveball I couldn't get myself out of. OK, so there was some good-natured radio ribbing about me clearing H bridge one night........
  by BuddSilverliner269

Cobra, as I have said, the requirements to qualify on amtrak for vre guys was no different then when I had to qualify 3 years ago. Those stricter requirements were started shortly before I was hired and was done when an amtrak train rear ended a freight in chicago because the engineer and deadheading engineer argued overthe previous signal. To say the requirements were changed because of VRE is nonsense . I argued with amtrak aboutthe change when I was qualifying because I was coming over with my cert card and they didn't care.
  by chucksc

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Cobra, as I have said, the requirements to qualify on amtrak for vre guys was no different then when I had to qualify 3 years ago. Those stricter requirements were started shortly before I was hired and was done when an amtrak train rear ended a freight in chicago because the engineer and deadheading engineer argued overthe previous signal. To say the requirements were changed because of VRE is nonsense . I argued with amtrak aboutthe change when I was qualifying because I was coming over with my cert card and they didn't care.
Budd the argument wasn't that Amtrak changed the requirements for VRE - that was a cover for the pride of a certain long serving (30+ years) Amtrak runner who failed that test, and got banned from Washington terminal, right after he switched to VRE. :)

The real accusation was that the Unions and Amtrak were conspiring to sabatoge Keolis' contract mobilization (I don't think the BLE has a signed contract yet do they Cobra?). This is not just some wild azzed rumor but actually admitted to by Boardman after the fact. As far as the low ball pricing goes - Amtrak got caught playing cute with their pricing ($5 mil to impliment a contract they already had? come on) in fact Amtrak came in 3rd. Bombardier, who was subbing it out to Amtrak, actually under bid Amtrak..... So I don't think it was so much Keolis low balling as Amtrak getting greedy and high balling the price....

P.S. never mind the arrogance of Amtrak management and marketing who successfully POed everyone in VRE (and later MARC) that even drove by them... ("We are the only game in town so deal with it")

P.P.S. what really annoys the "poop" out of me is that Amtrak's anti-marketing plan along with the incompetence of Union management has led to people I rode with for 13 years and who had a pretty good deal (5 days a week - monday to friday only - sleep in your own bed stuff) now climbing on and off overnights and not necessarily having weekends and Federal Holidays off.... Never mind having to lift tickets :-)
  by BuddSilverliner269

Chuck, I understand what you are trying to say, but I have never seen anything in writing where Boardman admitted to trying to sabatoge Keolis or the VRE ops after they lost the contract. He did admit to dropping the ball. Listen, Im not pleased that they tacked onto the contract a startup fee, and clearly Amtrak was no angel when they went for the contract but to say that Amtrak or its unions are preventing the VRE guys fair representation is nonsense. Why would those guys at VRE need to join the Amtrak local chapters? Why not go with another local like with CSX or NS,or heres a novelty, why not start your own local chapter? Theres more to play in this situation than what people think there are like Amtrak playing dirty. Sorry, Im not buying it. Im an Amtrak employee, and although I work out of NYC and not DC, I have heard stories that were completely different to the contrary by the guys in DC.
  by chucksc

Budd I'll look for it when I get home later this week - IIRC it was either a Boardman interview with Trains re: dropping the ball on MARC and this was included or a Boardman letter to DC employees.....

P.S. really I'm not a kook with an Anti-Amtrak agenda! :)
I'm a 65 y/o foamer who actually is generally an Amtrak fan. which is why I was/am so bent out of shape about this.....
  by BuddSilverliner269

Chuck, Im sure it was in Trains magazine, but there word doesnt hold strentgh to me because that magaizine has seemed bias at times towards Amtrak. The fact that its a media publication (and we know how much the media reports the facts right?) means really nothing to me. As I have already mentioned, I know of guys who were invloved in the behind the scenes up to and after the VRE contract and from what I understand, its nothing like what was being reported. This is why I get so upset when I read these accusations. Amtrak is FAR from perfect but to flat out be accused of sabatoge and other conspiracy's is alil much.
  by BuddSilverliner269

chucksc wrote:OK I just don't want you to think I'm some kid sitting around smoking a bong and dreaming this krap up.... :)
Chuck, if you, thats ok. I personally have no problem with it if thats what you like.Haha