• MARC K-Car w/ Snack Bar?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by HokieNav

While pondering the great wide internet, I came upon this page that detailed MARC's fleet of K-cars.

It lists 7 "S-cars" with snack bars (numbers 7870 to 7876) - I've noticed a little coffee mug plaque on the outside of some of the bi-levels, but have never taken note of the inside of one (in a year's worth of commuting, I'm sure that I've been inside one at least once and didn't notice).

Were these cars ever actually used with a snack bar inside? If so, when were they removed (and why)?
  by realtype

The "bar" (I think its more of a coffee machine type thing) is located on the middle level at one end of the car, where you would see the restrooms on the cab and "T" cars. There's just empty shelves there now. I've been riding MARC for nearly four years, and in all that time they've never used the snack bar (if ever). I didn't even realize they had the things until about a year ago when I decided to find out the meaning of the "cafe" symbol.

In addition to their 125mph rating, the K-cars have so many amenities that the riders aren't aware of, such as reclining seats (although this feature got kind of screwed up with the seat replacements), automated GPS station announcements (a la LIRR), external and internal LED displays, and the "snack bar." Can't blame MARC though. The lack of these "luxury features," is minor when some riders are forced to stand in the stairway.
  by HokieNav

Thanks for the info - it's amazing what opening ones eyes and paying attention to what's around you can do.
I happened to ride in 7875 this afternoon, and noted the area that you were speaking of:
I would presume that behind the split door is where the "snack bar" apparatus would be - in the T-cars, there is another set of rearward facings seats behind the woman in orange, and one forward facing seat under some shelves back in the "cubby" hidden by the doors (perfectly explaining the 3 seat difference between the T and S cars).

Learn something new everyday!

On the other features, I love the reclining seats (and agree that the seat replacements really screwed most of them up), have heard the automated station announcements on one train (many months ago), and am surprised that the LED signs aren't used for something (perhaps "move forward/rearward to exit at Seabrook and Bowie State" as appropriate on the inside, and the train number/destination on the outside). Certainly something more worthwhile than "Unit OK" or "No message" (my personal favorite).
  by gp40marc69

I was wondering about the announcement system myself and why we don't use it. I can see why now because each consist can change everyday and the spotting of the train varies from train to train depending on the consist. Also, there would be alot of programming to do each train and the communications systems on the bi-levels are spotty at times. For instance, if a crew member was making an announcement from another car, sometimes the speaker will just buzz and you won't hear the announcement and at other times when the announcement is made in a different car, it'll work. It's crazy. VRE has set consists and might be able to do their announcements better than MARC can do. I do want to see the announcement system work for ADA compliance, but MTA needs the dough and resources to improve the service.