• MARC AEM7 Spotted today 5/31/2009 In Philly

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by realtype

^
I really hope you're right. We definitely do not need another 3-4 year episode with the motors in limbo. *crosses fingers*
  by Kaback9

I wonder if it maybe time to start looking for other electric locomotives, maybe when Amtrak finally decides on a replacement for their AEM7's, MARC can tack on to the order. One also has to wonder if maybe they should have been rebuilt into AEM7AC's at the time. Unfortunately there is not much that can be done other than hope for the best.
  by realtype

Kaback9 wrote:I wonder if it maybe time to start looking for other electric locomotives, maybe when Amtrak finally decides on a replacement for their AEM7's, MARC can tack on to the order. One also has to wonder if maybe they should have been rebuilt into AEM7AC's at the time. Unfortunately there is not much that can be done other than hope for the best.
That's exactly what I was thinking was going to happen (that they would be rebuilt to AC spec). I agree that they should tack on Amtrak's order for the ALP-46's or whatever they get. Then again that's would have put all that taxpayer money to waste, but this is Maryland.
  by HokieNav

4903 was running behind 4901 this morning, leaving Union Station around 7:15 this morning. Just saw 4902 the other day, so looks like we'll have 3 on the road here shortly!
  by realtype

HokieNav wrote:4903 was running behind 4901 this morning, leaving Union Station around 7:15 this morning. Just saw 4902 the other day, so looks like we'll have 3 on the road here shortly!
Niiiccee. Pretty soon MARC will have too many locomotives when the rest of the completed diesels arrive :-D . I would imagine the GP40's would be gone before that happens though :( .
  by HokieNav

Finally got around to processing pictures this evening. As always, click to get to the flickr version:

Edit: In a clever twist, when I got off the train this morning 4903 was leading with 4902 behind getting ready to head north. I expect that I shall process those pictures next week, thus summoning 4903 to begin running solo. :D
  by HokieNav

Well so much for 4903 running solo. Was behind it alone on today's 4:46 and we made it about as far as the NY Ave metro station and had to get drug back to the station and put on another train.
  by electricron

It's more than past time for MARC to sue Amtrak for noncompliance with the original MARC contract. The reworked locomotives don't run reliably, and are years late.
  by realtype

Great photo! That sucks for 4903. I really hope this doesn't lead to them taking all of them out of service. 4901 and 4902 seeemed to be running fine earlier.
  by realtype

Great photo! That sucks for 4903. I really hope this doesn't lead to them taking all of them out of service. 4901 and 4902 seeemed to be running fine earlier.
  by realtype

by BuddSilverliner269

electricron wrote:It's more than past time for MARC to sue Amtrak for noncompliance with the original MARC contract. The reworked locomotives don't run reliably, and are years late.
And you base this on what? Amtrak certainly knows how to rehab locomotives. Look at its own AEM7 fleet where many have been rebuilt as AC units and I actually like running the AC units unlike another Amtrak engineer that post in here. If MARC is having problem with its AEM7's, quite possibly, they get what they paid for. They paid money to have them rehabbed as DC units instead of AC units. I have heard what the problem was with these rebuilds, although I cant remember what it was, but I dont think its Amtrak to blame. Im just sure that Ron still has an AXE to grind.
  by electricron

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:
electricron wrote:It's more than past time for MARC to sue Amtrak for noncompliance with the original MARC contract. The reworked locomotives don't run reliably, and are years late.
And you base this on what? Amtrak certainly knows how to rehab locomotives. Look at its own AEM7 fleet where many have been rebuilt as AC units and I actually like running the AC units unlike another Amtrak engineer that post in here. If MARC is having problem with its AEM7's, quite possibly, they get what they paid for. They paid money to have them rehabbed as DC units instead of AC units. I have heard what the problem was with these rebuilds, although I cant remember what it was, but I dont think its Amtrak to blame. Im just sure that Ron still has an AXE to grind.
I based my earlier reply upon
AEM-7 Locomotive Overhaul
In August 2006 MARC began the 18-month process of overhauling it’s four AEM-7 electric locomotives. When completed, these locomotives will be more reliable, spending less time in the shop and thus reduce the dependency on diesel locomotives on the Penn Line.
18 months from August 2006 is February 2008, over TWO years ago. 4903 added to 4901 and 4902 is just three of the four AEM7s, do you know the status of 4900?

And it looks like 4903 already needs reworking again......