• MARC AEM7 locomotives 4900 to 4903

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by realtype

According to a mass email sent out by the MTA administrator regarding recent delays the AEM-7s will be back this August:

"A Message from the MTA Administrator

For the past six weeks on-time performance for MARC Train service has fallen far below what customers expect or deserve. During June Penn Line trains were on-time 81% of the time; Camden Line trains were on-time 63% of the time and Brunswick Line trains were on-time 63% of the time. Although some service disruptions are unavoidable, there were instances where we could have taken actions to reduce the anxiety, frustration and inconvenience that you and your family, friends and colleagues experienced. Specifically, service was disrupted for the following reasons:

• Persistent reliability problems with our newest electric locomotives.

Penn Line customers should know that MARC managers communicate with their counterparts at Amtrak on a daily basis to anticipate and address issues that cause service delays. We are also working closely with Amtrak to improve the reliability of the electric locomotives. An overhaul of our four AEM-7 electric locomotives is nearly complete with the first overhauled unit back in service in early August and the second in service by mid-August.

Paul J. Wiedefeld

Administrator"
  by NortheastTrainMan

I don't get it I thought the AEM7s were already overhauled last year. Then it says 3 were rehabbed and one was in Wilmington now NONE of them have been rehabbed what is going on here?
  by realtype

NortheastTrainMan wrote:I don't get it I thought the AEM7s were already overhauled last year. Then it says 3 were rehabbed and one was in Wilmington now NONE of them have been rehabbed what is going on here?
In aug 2006 MARC printed in their newsletter that they were sending the AEM-7s to Wilmington for a 16-month overhaul to be done by Amtrak. Apparently one of them (4903) wasn't sent or was sent back early because I and some other posters have spotted it pulling trains for about the last 9 mths or so. The ones coming this August are actually 8 months late.
  by Robert Paniagua

Hopefully the MARC AEM7s (all of them) will be returned to revenue service, and they may need a few modifications to run pretty good. And I hope the HHP8s situation is resolved
  by realtype

Robert Paniagua wrote:Hopefully the MARC AEM7s (all of them) will be returned to revenue service, and they may need a few modifications to run pretty good. And I hope the HHP8s situation is resolved
MARC just received (presumably) the AEM-7's between last month and this month (about 6 months overdue). I haven't seen them back in service yet though.

http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/mar ... tted-1.pdf
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/traffi ... 5146.story

The problem with the HHP-8's is that they are unreliable. Apparently they weren't designed for the push-pull stop and go commuter service (remember they're basically Acela power cars with extra HP) The MTA is actually considering overhauling them in a few years (unheard of for equipment only a few years old).
Last edited by realtype on Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by HokieNav

Your first link doesn't work, do you happen to still have the PDF?

Thanks!
  by realtype

HokieNav wrote:Your first link doesn't work, do you happen to still have the PDF?

Thanks!
Sorry, the link should be working now. :-D
  by HokieNav

Thanks again - the URL looked interesting, I didn't know that they published minutes of the meetings.
  by realtype

BAD NEWS:

According to this e-mail I received from the MTA after asking about the locomotives and VRE cars, neither will be in service until next year:

"Earlier e-mails stated that MARC was hoping to start taking delivery of
the locomotives in late Fall or the early part of next year.
Unfortunately, that has been moved up to February (I believe). MARC has
already taken delivery of 13 VRE bi-level cars but they will not be put
into service until certain mechanical issues have been formatted to meet
MARC operating standards. We are hoping to start releasing some the
first of the year. Thank you for your comments. Your comments will be
made a part of the public records.
MARC/DJW"

This is yet another setback to the AEM-7s' delivery which were originally due back around February 2008, after an 18-month rehab procees in Wilmington starting Aug 2006.
  by realtype

Update: Apparently 4902 is back in service. I saw it pushing 513 into Union station this morning.
  by Silverliner II

realtype wrote:
Robert Paniagua wrote:Hopefully the MARC AEM7s (all of them) will be returned to revenue service, and they may need a few modifications to run pretty good. And I hope the HHP8s situation is resolved
MARC just received (presumably) the AEM-7's between last month and this month (about 6 months overdue). I haven't seen them back in service yet though.

The problem with the HHP-8's is that they are unreliable. Apparently they weren't designed for the push-pull stop and go commuter service (remember they're basically Acela power cars with extra HP) The MTA is actually considering overhauling them in a few years (unheard of for equipment only a few years old).
I say just make a swap with Amtrak. Give the 6 HHP-s to Amtrak in exchange for 6 AEM-7's.....
  by realtype

Silverliner II wrote:
realtype wrote:

I say just make a swap with Amtrak. Give the 6 HHP-s to Amtrak in exchange for 6 AEM-7's.....
lol. More like 10 AEM-7's for 6 HHP-8's. The HHP's are probably worth twice as much and are brand new. Plus, they would have to be AC's. But, that is an interesting idea...
  by spvanhart

MARC can get rid of the HHP-8's despite all of its problems because it is the only engine that can pull the 9-car bi-level trainset. Besides, I don't think Amtrak really wants any more HHP-8s, I think they may be more inclined to take the AEM-7s off of MARC's hands first.
  by realtype

spvanhart wrote:MARC can get rid of the HHP-8's despite all of its problems because it is the only engine that can pull the 9-car bi-level trainset. Besides, I don't think Amtrak really wants any more HHP-8s, I think they may be more inclined to take the AEM-7s off of MARC's hands first.
Interesting, I didn't realize the AEM-7's couldn't handle 9 bilevels. Currently, there is only one 9-car bilevel set: 503/534 between Perryville and DC.
  by spvanhart

It is my understanding talking to several of the conductors that 9 bilevels is the certified maximum for the HHP-8s, if someone with more knowledge could confirm or rebut this it would be appreciated. One question concerning the AEM-7s; the normal train consist I see on Amtrak Regionals with a AEM-7 pulling is 7 cars, is 7 single levels the maximum certified consist for the AEM-7 (DC models that is)?