• Maine Narrow Gauge news

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by MEC407

Apparently MNGRR had a big track work day recently. (Funny how they always wish they had more volunteers; perhaps they should do a better job of publicizing these things!)

News article with video:

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=43831

by scoopernicus_in_Maine

How much do you suppose it would cost to cut and cover a tunnel under the new Ocean Gate and Commercial Street to link the Narrow guage with the Cat Terminal?
  by Cosmo

Waaaayyyy too much, I'm afraid. I can't see the city going for that, with all it would involve. just look at the "Big Dig" and all that involved.
I think they'd have a better chance of running down the middle of Comercial st.

by octr202

C'mon, that could be Portland's new claim to fame -- home of the world's only two-foot gauge subway rapid transit system. It could be expanded to run with two-foot gauge third rail MU cars...

:wink:

by midnight_ride

C'mon, that could be Portland's new claim to fame -- home of the world's only two-foot gauge subway rapid transit system. It could be expanded to run with two-foot gauge third rail MU cars...
Am I imagining or did I hear serious discussion along these lines in the Portland newspapers? I seem to recall a proposal to extend MNGRR to Hadlock Field.

by pennsy

Hi All,

Still a fan of the two footers. And my favorite two foot RR is the Edaville RR, South Carver, Mass. So, what is going on with that RR ? Last I heard it was in difficulty and most of its rolling stock, and engines, were gone. Has it returned to normal yet ???

When F. Nelson Blount passed away, and the founder of the Edaville RR passed away, their RR's and collections were up for grabs, unfortunately.

by MEC407

midnight_ride wrote:Am I imagining or did I hear serious discussion along these lines in the Portland newspapers? I seem to recall a proposal to extend MNGRR to Hadlock Field.
Yes, but it did not involve tunnels or electrification!
  by Cosmo

Yes, there has been serious talk of extending to the ballfield. I don't have the latest on the progress of that proposal, but it seemed like it was always "one hurdle away" from happening.
I would like to see it go through, and I wouldn't mind seeing them go down Comercial (On the SURFACE! No point to a M2' subway cause ya can't SEE it there!) St, I think the ballfield has a much better chance of happening.
I'd also like to see a connection with Amtrak someday.
Nothing that COULDN'T happen, but each with it's own set of hurdles.
I belive that part of the drive behind the track weekend was to show what they can do given the resources, ie: they are able and capable of maintaining a high standard of trackwork, and done right the tracks will ultimately look more presentable.
Anyway, that's my ramble for this week.
Ciao,
Cosmo
  by MEC407

MEC407 wrote:Apparently MNGRR had a big track work day recently. (Funny how they always wish they had more volunteers; perhaps they should do a better job of publicizing these things!)
Clarification: what I meant is that, had I known about it, I would have been there to help about, and probably a lot of other people would have as well. It's disappointing to find out about these things after-the-fact.

by scoopernicus_in_Maine

Am I imagining or did I hear serious discussion along these lines in the Portland newspapers? I seem to recall a proposal to extend MNGRR to Hadlock Field.
And it goes in the other direction. Although I'm not seriously suggesting the money exists (let alone the will) to do such a project, my dream idea is that a narrow guage rapid transit system be built that connects the Cat Terminal to Hadlock field and the Amtrak station. Also, the swing bridge be rebuilt to it would go to East Deering too.

My idea (fantasy?) is that the museum trains run from East Deering to the present terminus near Franklin street, while modern equipment ran down Commercial Street, Around the peninsula, and to Hadlock Field.

Since I'm pushing the limits of the topic, I'll stop there.
  by Cosmo

The only reason for putting 2' guage down Skomershl street is because there's already 2' equipment running [near] there.
If you want "NEW" equipment, I think the city'd be better with a "Heritage" streetcar line (any guage) in a dedicated ROW in the center of the street, at least until it could diverge off the street through the old granite underpass near the "Billion-skillion $$$ bridge".
I'm not going to get into diagramming out such a system right now. If we wanna' tlak streetcars for Portland, we can start a whole new thread! (Not a bad idea actually, cause I could go on with my ideas too!)
I think extending the 2' down Skamirsh could be done rather quickly and relatively inexpensively, BUT it WOULD involve some serious contracting as it would mean ripping up a lot of street!
The 2'ers MIGHT be a way to fill in the gap until a "heritage streetcar" that would fit the quaint/touristy image Portland want's for the Old Port could be purchased and wires strung. MNGRR COULD even be insturmental in the construction of just such a line.
  by Cosmo

Since this is a MNGRR NEWS thread, and since the "Ocean Gateway Project" is such a big deal, could someone please tell me a little more ablut it?
What is it exactly, how does it interfere with the MNGRR row, and could someone maybe post some pictures somewhere?
I may or may not make it up around Thanksgiving or during the Santa Train season, so I could sure use some eyes and ears up there!
Thanks,
Cosmo

by scoopernicus_in_Maine

Since this is a MNGRR NEWS thread, and since the "Ocean Gateway Project" is such a big deal, could someone please tell me a little more ablut it?
What is it exactly, how does it interfere with the MNGRR row, and could someone maybe post some pictures somewhere?
Here is the web site:

http://www.oceangatewaymaine.org/

My understanding is that the MNGRR will no longer be able to extend to India Street, but will end at the museum, because a parking lot and some mixed retail/condos wil be going to be built in that area.

On the other side of town, the plans for MNGRR expansion to Hadlock are blocked because the city fears that using the existing ROW will interfere with their plans for Bayside development. IF the city allows the MNGRR to extend to Hadlock it will have to go by way of an alternative ROW that paralells 295.
  by Cosmo

They ought to threaten the city that if they don't co-operate they'll pack up and move north back to the Bridgeton area where most of the stuff came from!
(sorry, venting)
  by Cosmo

actually, I HAD heard that they were looking at an allternate row to get around bayside and city was willing to go with that. I belive someone at MNGRR expressed it was preferable due to better visability from 395.
It's just a pisser if they can't get back down to India street.