• Maine Eastern ridership since Lobsterfest?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by henry6

How has the weekend passenger service been since the kick off Lobsterfest weekend? Any riders? Any reactions?

by wolfmom69

:(No definate figures,but have been up to Brunswick a couple of saturday mornings when train left around 9 am. maybe,35 people both times--not good. Foliage in "peak" this w/e & next,so maybe it will pick up! bud :(
  by henry6

Thanks for update...please keep me posted as new info becomes available. Appreciate it.

T hank S.

by CSX Conductor

How often do they run? Fares? any more info available, like a web-site or something?

by wolfmom69

:P Fares are $30 round trip($25 for seniors over 55). Run Sat. & Sun. Go to www.merail.com/mid-coast-service.htm for more info. Hope this helps a little. Bud

by CSX Conductor

Thanks Bud

by wolfmom69

Your welcome CSX Conductor. Happened to have to run into Brunswick this AM to get some supplies for a home improvement project wife & I are doing(helluva way to spend a 3 day weekend;instead of chasing trains etc.). The ZMaine Eastern passenger train was boarding folks for the Columbus Day run,and foliage(its lousy this year due to wet summer IMO!)is close to peak. Looked like under "25" folks on the train,and don't expect many will get on at Bath or Wiscassset. Its a great ride,but the 4 and 1/2 hr. layover in Rockland may be too long,now that the Lobstah Festival is gone. Nice restaurants,Farnsworth Art Museum etc. but I don't know. Wonder what the number of passenger are to "break even" per round trip?? Wish the news was more encouraging. Bud

by eriemike

Four of us took a ride on the Eastern Maine yesterday after helping to lay track at the WW&F track laying party on Saturday. The ME was one of the best trips I have taken behind a diesel. It didn't putt along (due to the welded rail and 45 mph speed), the scenary was great and the coaches were in outstanding 1950's era shape. It was my first time eating something in a moving dining car.

The layover in Rockland wasn't that bad (4 hours or so). Gave us time to walk back to the engine house and turntable, find the very grown over ROW and yard of the last mile of the Rockland Branch (where it ended at the Rockland Depot, which is still there in all its glory). We were told by several people that the depot was going to be restored and that the ME would end its trip there instead of on the Rockland Wharf Branch. Maybe so that they could set more concrete cars on the branch line. We were able to have a relaxing lunch without worrying about getting back to the train. What was also neat is that anybody who was out and about would stop and wave at the train as it sped by.

It is my opinion that the ME might be using this season to find out what bugs there might be and fix them before they start heavy publicity. They also got a late start to the season as well. You might see them put a little more effort in advertising next year. We shall see.
Last edited by eriemike on Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by eriemike

One last thing. As for ridership, there must have been about 30 people on the trip from Brunswick to Rockland. There were more riders for the trip from Rockland to Wiscasset and back (approximately another 20 to 30?).