Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1288982  by Silverliner II

I have been video railfanning along Shore Line East for the past two weeks, and I have noticed something.

With all the talk of future operation of M8 trains on Shore Line East, I realized it will not be as simple as simply substituting the current push-pull equipment with MU's. Given that 4-car trains are the norm, and all four cars are open on the peak-direction trains, after watching how trains are spotted on the SLE platforms, it occurs to me that they will have to lengthen all SLE station platforms to fit 4 cars fully or be restricted to only opening doors on the head pair or rear pair of cars. Additionally, there would be a need to at least lengthen the Track 1 platforms at Guilford and the under-construction one at Branford) to at least allow two cars to platform to open doors.

I am wondering if CDOT has factored that cost into things if they still hope to operate M8's up the Shore Line.
 #1288988  by DutchRailnut

after 4 years there are still no test trains run and ACSES still has not been tested, if anyone expects M-8's on SLE they have a very long wait.
 #1288998  by MattW

But how long would that testing take? A few months to a year? This isn't new equipment, it's equipment in revenue service, just in a different area and new equipment testing seems to take less than a year if no major problems are found.
 #1289032  by DutchRailnut

read M-8 tread we have gone over this again and again.
 #1289165  by Clean Cab

M8's have not been tested on the shoreline due to their not meeting Amtrak specifications (voltage transition, ACCESS compatibility & clearances). Rumor has it testing on the shoreline will happen "soon".
 #1289887  by ebtmikado

The rail line is the Shore Line (2 words), as it has been for the past 160+ years.
The shoreline is the sand by the beach.
 #1303549  by nomis

Rail travel builds
http://www.theday.com/editorials/201411 ... vel-builds
However, six trains on weekdays and eight on weekends travel as far east as New London, accounting for roughly one-quarter of Shore Line East ridership on the weekends.

Service quality should improve in 2016 when the state Department of Transportation expects to begin using modern M-8 electric cars for Shore Line East, the same vehicles now used for the Metro North commuter service from western Connecticut to New York City. The local service now uses older, diesel engines.
Oh CDOT ... :-D
 #1303635  by Clean Cab

The most recent word on M8 testing on Shore Line East is it is still awaiting an a agreement and testing protocol that MN, CDOT and Amtrak can agree on. No one really knows when (if ever) they will be tested on the shore line.
 #1303713  by Clean Cab

I hope CDOT is not $tudying it too hard!!
 #1303896  by NH2060

Clean Cab wrote:The most recent word on M8 testing on Shore Line East is it is still awaiting an a agreement and testing protocol that MN, CDOT and Amtrak can agree on. No one really knows when (if ever) they will be tested on the shore line.
Sounds like a case of *ahem* "arrested development" ;-)
 #1304408  by Travelsonic

Silverliner II wrote: With all the talk of future operation of M8 trains on Shore Line East, I realized it will not be as simple as simply substituting the current push-pull equipment with MU's. Given that 4-car trains are the norm, and all four cars are open on the peak-direction trains, after watching how trains are spotted on the SLE platforms, it occurs to me that they will have to lengthen all SLE station platforms to fit 4 cars fully or be restricted to only opening doors on the head pair or rear pair of cars.
I wonder, why, if they end up using 2 pairs of M8, would they not just use the last car in the first pair, and the first car in the last pair, and thus give passengers in both pairs the ability to get off without having to move from one complete pair to another (if that makes sense)? Issues with being able to spot that accurately and safely, something else, what? (I honestly have no idea, so this is an honest question)
 #1304448  by Backshophoss

There's is a way to turn off Doors that are not on the platform,done at the door control panel.
Are there plans to install station stop markers like LIRR did? to help in spotting the train at the platform?
The order is almost complete,there should have been tests done under the 25kv wire by now!!!
 #1305486  by Train322

What would be the shortest train length for SLE?
With the heavy demand west of New Haven, can they simply run two car trains?

Would it make sense to reduce the current four car SLE trains to three or two to save on wear and tear, fuel and such?

Also, what needs to be done to use M8's for SLE?

Testing?
Wire at Guilford?
New London platforms?

thanks