Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by R3toNEC

Does anyone have anymore sound clips of the M7s...namely the automated announcements?

by Silverliner II

capuzfu wrote:Does anyone have anymore sound clips of the M7s...namely the automated announcements?
You know, that might be a bestselling CD. I can imagine the commercial now....

Need time to relax? Work got you stressed? Then listen to my new CD, "The Soothing Sounds Of The M7" It's a cornucopia of the sounds of M7's arriving and departing, traction motors whining, door chimes and automated announcements, and conductors making humorous announcements over the PA.

And if you love that, then there is the follow-up CD "Wake Up With FL-9's"....

:-D :wink:

by R3toNEC

Silverliner II wrote:
capuzfu wrote:Does anyone have anymore sound clips of the M7s...namely the automated announcements?
You know, that might be a bestselling CD. I can imagine the commercial now....

Need time to relax? Work got you stressed? Then listen to my new CD, "The Soothing Sounds Of The M7" It's a cornucopia of the sounds of M7's arriving and departing, traction motors whining, door chimes and automated announcements, and conductors making humorous announcements over the PA.

And if you love that, then there is the follow-up CD "Wake Up With FL-9's"....

:-D :wink:
They really should...I would buy it.

"This station is Fleetwood. This is the train to North White Plains, the next station is Bronxville."
  by N340SG

JDISTABILE,

OK, there are some more differences between the M-7a and M-7 then.
Thanks for pointing that out. My listing of the lights is correct for the LIRR M-7. I figured (apparently wrongly) they would be the same for MNR. We do not have the blue "persons working on car" light feature, although I think it's a good idea.
I also see that MNR cars have a strobe light by the vestibule to warn that doors are closing, or about to close. The LIRR setup is different in that area also. We do not have the strobe on the wall. We have a red light that blinks on and off. The "door disabled" light on our M-7s is an amber light that blinks.
It's actually becoming kind of incredible, the number of differences between the sister cars.

Tom
Last edited by N340SG on Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Nasadowsk

Tom - that lighnt on the MN '7s looks cool too - like the shift light stuck on the side of those big tachometers that everyone's got in their cars these days :) maybe BBD subbed the thing out to Auto-Meter? ;)

by The RailMan

Nasadowsk wrote:Tom - that lighnt on the MN '7s looks cool too - like the shift light stuck on the side of those big tachometers that everyone's got in their cars these days :) maybe BBD subbed the thing out to Auto-Meter? ;)
Exactly, trains seem to be designed around the latest trends, so BBD "riced" out the M7s with aftermarket tach lights, GPS, and other cool lights :-)

by Terminal Proceed

Please explain what you mean by "riced" out. I hope it is not an offensive reference to an ethnic group of people.

I also invite you to edit your post before I do it.

Kevin

by KFRG

"Please explain what you mean by "riced" out. I hope it is not an offensive reference to an ethnic group of people."

Your kidding me right?

The "Ricer" term stems from the current trend of youth (in the "import" crowd) who "dress-up" their Japanese imported car with gaudy body-kit's, wing's that serve no purpose, "Euro" or "Altezza" light's, etc. The term can also be used in regard to the domestic driver as well.
Talk about a PC invasion, geez...

by li7039

chil he is just doing his job
  • Your kidding me right?

The "Ricer" term stems from the current trend of youth (in the "import" crowd) who "dress-up" their Japanese imported car with gaudy body-kit's, wing's that serve no purpose, "Euro" or "Altezza" light's, etc. The term can also be used in regard to the domestic driver as well.
    Talk about a PC invasion, geez...

by The RailMan

Terminal Proceed wrote:Please explain what you mean by "riced" out. I hope it is not an offensive reference to an ethnic group of people.

I also invite you to edit your post before I do it.

Kevin

I apologize, I don't mean to offend anyone. The term usually refers to how people usually modify their small cars, not just Hondas, but Chevys, Dodges and VWs and Audis. It's just a name that stuck with modifying 4 cylinder "economy" vehicles (Civics, Cavaliers, Jettas, etc...) I guess I could use the term "hooked-up" (though in my mind, that term means actually modifying an engine with nitrous, turbocharger/supercharger applications), Pretty much what you would see in Fast and the Furious or anything like that. It has nothing to do with ethnicity, it is a term from my generation for shaping a cars appearance. And believe me, though it may sound offensive, I know plenty of people who you think I may be offending with the word who are not offended by this term and use this term themselves. It's a valid term, and I apologize if I may have offended anyone, but the term has been used on TV freely, so if its good there, its good elsewhere.
Now back to the M7s...

by pnaw10

mncommuter wrote:Seems like sometimes, the conductors prefer not using the automated announcements. They just announce the stations manually, the old fashioned way, which I actually prefer. The computer voice gets annoying after a while.
Agreed! The once or twice I get to return to NYC every year, I never drive all the way in... I purposely go to Croton Harmon so I can take the train. Still have yet to catch an M7a going into the city, but the last couple of trips, I've had M7a's northbound. I usually leave well after PM Peak, when locals are more common than express trains. Being reminded that "This is the train to... Croton Harmon" every 2 minutes can quickly grate on you, especially after a very, very long day.

I can see where this service is definitely useful on the criss-crossing LIRR lines, or even on the Harlem Line where many trains terminate at NWP, rather than going all the way to Southeast. However, once Hudson Line trains are beyond 125th Street, they don't share any other stops with any other lines. Anyone with half a brain knows the train is going to Croton Harmon. Just announce the current stop and the next stop.

Also... the new door closing sounds... I can live with them, but the bells on the M1's and M3's will still be my favorite because that's what I grew up with when my family lived closer to the city.

by R3toNEC

pnaw10 wrote:
mncommuter wrote:Seems like sometimes, the conductors prefer not using the automated announcements. They just announce the stations manually, the old fashioned way, which I actually prefer. The computer voice gets annoying after a while.
Agreed! The once or twice I get to return to NYC every year, I never drive all the way in... I purposely go to Croton Harmon so I can take the train. Still have yet to catch an M7a going into the city, but the last couple of trips, I've had M7a's northbound. I usually leave well after PM Peak, when locals are more common than express trains. Being reminded that "This is the train to... Croton Harmon" every 2 minutes can quickly grate on you, especially after a very, very long day.

I can see where this service is definitely useful on the criss-crossing LIRR lines, or even on the Harlem Line where many trains terminate at NWP, rather than going all the way to Southeast. However, once Hudson Line trains are beyond 125th Street, they don't share any other stops with any other lines. Anyone with half a brain knows the train is going to Croton Harmon. Just announce the current stop and the next stop.

Also... the new door closing sounds... I can live with them, but the bells on the M1's and M3's will still be my favorite because that's what I grew up with when my family lived closer to the city.
Well what about trains to Poughkeepsie?

by Silverliner II

capuzfu wrote:
pnaw10 wrote:
Agreed! Being reminded that "This is the train to... Croton Harmon" every 2 minutes can quickly grate on you, especially after a very, very long day.

Well, since all the Poughkeepsie trains are Bomber sets...and run express between 125th Street and Croton-Harmon....nuff said.

by R3toNEC

Silverliner II wrote:
capuzfu wrote:
pnaw10 wrote:
Agreed! Being reminded that "This is the train to... Croton Harmon" every 2 minutes can quickly grate on you, especially after a very, very long day.

Well, since all the Poughkeepsie trains are Bomber sets...and run express between 125th Street and Croton-Harmon....nuff said.
The Poughkeepsie trains do not run express in the strictest sense...let's take a look at a sample of some morning trains from GCT to Poughkeepsie....train number 825, 829, 739, etc. etc. stop at Marble Hill, Yonkers, Tarrytown, Ossing, etc. So your assertion is falso that all the Poughkeepsie trains are express to Croton-Harmon...they are more or less limited.

by pnaw10

capuzfu wrote:The Poughkeepsie trains do not run express in the strictest sense...let's take a look at a sample of some morning trains from GCT to Poughkeepsie....train number 825, 829, 739, etc. etc. stop at Marble Hill, Yonkers, Tarrytown, Ossing, etc. So your assertion is falso that all the Poughkeepsie trains are express to Croton-Harmon...they are more or less limited.
When I said anyone with half a brain knows the train is going to Croton-Harmon, I was referring to the brand new M7a trains, the ones with the automated announcements. None of the other trains have this feature. When you see any MU unit on the Hudson Line, you know it can't go further than Croton Harmon... so it makes no sense to keep reminding people that the train's going to Croton Harmon every time it stops.

Silverliner II may have been slightly inaccurate to say that all Poughkeepsie-bound trains run express to Croton, but the main point we both were making, is that any through trains to Poughkeepsie will always be made up of Bombardier push-pull units... they're the only passenger cars which can run the entire line. Since these cars don't have automated station announcements, and since M7a's can't go to Poughkeepsie, there's no need to ever have the announcement say "This is the train to... Poughkeepsie."