Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Howiew

I can tell you that the picture was not taken in Connecticut.
Who is the manufacturer?

by dc700

Howiew wrote:I can tell you that the picture was not taken in Connecticut.
Who is the manufacturer?
Maybe Canada.

I looks like the cars have no trcation motors insalled they're just rolling stock.

by UpperHarlemLine4ever

Those probably are in Canada at Bombardier's plant. The two cars on the left look like LIRR M7's (They've got illuminated number boards) while the others look like MN cars.

by drewh

They look like Bombardier designs. Could be Quebec or Vermont??

The M7-s were built in Auburn, NY (near Syracuse). Don't think there are mountains like that near Syracuse??

by CPRTim

The photo shows Bombardier’s test track at their plant in La Pocatiere, Quebec. About 250 miles east of Montreal (but only 25 miles from the US (Maine) border) . The mountains are across the St. Lawrence River which is about 15 miles wide here.

The plant is located on CN’s line to Halifax and the route of VIA’s “Ocean”. Amtrak’s Superliner II and Acelas were also built here then shipped to Bombardier plants in the US to be completed.

by DutchRailnut

The M7's are assembled in Platsburgh, not VT, as trhat plant has been closed for two years now.
The picture is possibly in La Pocatier Quebec at Main Bombardier plant.

by Penn Central

drewh wrote:They look like Bombardier designs. Could be Quebec or Vermont??
Bombardier closed their plant in Barre, VT. The last rolling stock that was kept there were the Champlain Flyers cars. They were removed last month. Although they get lots of snow in Vermont, they never had any M7 cars there.

by Noel Weaver

I think that particular picture is on that was made up on someone's
computer. If you look closly, it appears that at least one car is on regular
trucks while another one appears to be on rubber tires.
It might have been done just to create a discussion like this one.
Noel Weaver

by CPRTim

Noel Weaver wrote:I think that particular picture is on that was made up on someone's
computer. If you look closly, it appears that at least one car is on regular
trucks while another one appears to be on rubber tires.
It might have been done just to create a discussion like this one.
Noel Weaver
It's definetely the test track at la Pocatiere, Quebec. The unit that appears to be "rubber tires" is actually on shop trucks. The assembly buildings are just out of the picture to the left. This view appears to have been taken from the CN mainline. Possibly by a railfan on VIA's OCEAN??