Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by NH2060

DutchRailnut wrote:its almost 4 years since first M-8's arrived in New Haven yet still no M-8 has been tested east of New Haven.
Its still unknown if 25 Kv 60 Hz power and ACSES cab signaling works.
Well considering how long it took to de-bug them at first just to get them working GCT-NHV, etc. and with deliveries delayed by well over a year or two I'm not surprised they haven't started any Shore Line testing yet.

If there is indeed a problem with the 25 kv 60 Hz and/or ACSES I doubt the MTA or ConnDOT would sleep on it for long. They did after all pay BIG money for these things. Though I suspect they'd work any kinks out quietly as to not cause another media circus.
  by DutchRailnut

warranty is only for so long, I am sure warranty for first 200 cars is over and done with.
  by Tadman

I would suspect the warranty is of differing length on differing components. I used to be in an industry where the structural warranty was ten years and the electro-mechanical warranty was 1-2 years.
  by MattW

Hope this question can go here since it relies on the M8s. Is SLE looking at any NLC (or other eastern terminus) to GCT trains once they are operating M8s? I understand from the Westbury Station thread that the SLE platforms are generally very short so you wouldn't want to make a lot of stops in MNRR territory if any.
  by DutchRailnut

SLE may not run M-8's , the traffic growth west of New Haven will require all to be used in MN pool, you probably won't see bar cars either.
Don't forget when all current options were exercised, they were not including the amount of cars needed to replace M-4 and M-6.
The SLE plans are on such a low burner that M-8's have still not been tested on shoreline's 25 Kv and Acces systems.
  by NH2060

DutchRailnut wrote:SLE may not run M-8's , the traffic growth west of New Haven will require all to be used in MN pool, you probably won't see bar cars either.
Don't forget when all current options were exercised, they were not including the amount of cars needed to replace M-4 and M-6.
The SLE plans are on such a low burner that M-8's have still not been tested on shoreline's 25 Kv and Acces systems.
The thing is though when NHHS starts up in 2016-17 the current SLE fleet will be relocated so something will have to cover *current or expanded* SLE operations and then some. NHV-HFD-SPG is also longer in length than even NHV-NLC so a larger number of trainsets will be needed to be in rotation to cover schedules than the current 4(?) that SLE requires, especially since I believe the preliminary timetable calls for 17 or so round trips on weekdays.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the original 380-car order (210 base cars + 170 option cars) meant to completely replace the entire M-2/M-4/M-6 fleet from the beginning with 24 or so cars earmarked for SLE (presumably the last ones of the order) and any remaining extras compensating for the loss of a few seats in each new pair? And IIRC when the 25 singlets were announced MNR specifically said that their purpose was to "easily add capacity on select trains".

I do think it's fair to assume that bar cars are very unlikely. There's a reason 10 of the original 20 were converted into coaches and, furthermore, that none others (aside from the 1 M-4 car) were acquired in the M-4 and M-6 orders (the fact that they were much smaller in size notwithstanding).

If MNR/ConnDOT do indeed see future traffic growth requiring all 405 cars to be in service between GCT and NHV with nothing else to cover SLE service before 2018 (not to mention the M-8s from the Bridgeport derailment being held up in storage for who knows how long) then that last 58-68 car option sounds like a very sure thing.
  by DutchRailnut

for Springfield service they will only need 16 or so cars, you are aware CDOT has about that much VRE cars stored in Cedar Hill right ?
currently less than 40 % of VRE cars bought is used, add to that that CDOT has 10 locomotives for both services.

No the original order of 380 cars was to replace the 244 M-2's only,plus cars for continuoing trains on to SLE.
No they never converted order of bar cars, as they were going to be converted in house by MN forces.
  by Train2009

The 2:04 PM out of GCT to Stamford, CT Local had the new M8 pairs, #9370 and #9371 and the 2:34 PM also from GCT to Stamford, CT had #9376 and #9377. Both were seen at Woodlawn this afternoon.
  by Train538

doepack wrote:New M8 cars 9596 thru 9599 seen rolling through suburban Chicago earlier today. But it may be quite sometime (perhaps a week or more) before they continue east: UP & CSX have been having some serious interchange problems lately...
I presume those cars are actually 9396/97 & 9398/99, not 95xx. Thanks for the heads up!
  by doepack

Train538 wrote:
doepack wrote:New M8 cars 9596 thru 9599 seen rolling through suburban Chicago earlier today. But it may be quite sometime (perhaps a week or more) before they continue east: UP & CSX have been having some serious interchange problems lately...
I presume those cars are actually 9396/97 & 9398/99, not 95xx. Thanks for the heads up!
Thanks, I wrote it down wrong, didn't realize it 'til later on. BTW, saw four more heading east on Sunday afternoon, I'll get pics one of these days...
  by CentralValleyRail

First time riding the M-8's last night to celebrate with family that lives in Riverside, took the 5:14 out of GCT mini express to Harrison then local out to Stamford from there.

Train was empty (thank god it was) I had 8 bags of Xmas stuff. LOL

Very smooth ride, quiet, quick acceleration. Reminded me of an upscale M-7.

Still miss the bar cars though, wonder if they still are in use. I saw on the timetable maybe 4-5 trains with the logo but not sure if they're active.

One interesting note the train prior to us 5:12 New Caanan train (stamford first stop) which was lined up 2 tracks next to us. Left before us @ GCT, we beat it to 125th, then it passed us at 125th (no stop for them there) then we passed it again around the Melrose area.(From left to right we were on track 1 they were on 3) They didn't pass us again until we were dropping off passengers at Rye. at 5:55 (obviously they were behind at this point due at Stamford at 5:58) Found it very odd then again it's first time riding Metro North EOH in 5-6 years. Usually drive up that way for Xmas Eve.
  by Silverliner II

DutchRailnut wrote:for Springfield service they will only need 16 or so cars, you are aware CDOT has about that much VRE cars stored in Cedar Hill right ?
currently less than 40 % of VRE cars bought is used, add to that that CDOT has 10 locomotives for both services.

No the original order of 380 cars was to replace the 244 M-2's only,plus cars for continuoing trains on to SLE.
No they never converted order of bar cars, as they were going to be converted in house by MN forces.
Not to mention the Constitution Liner coaches (former SPV's) are still on the roster, so that is what, another 12 cars available for NHHS? They won't be hurting too much for equipment even without having M8's for SLE.
  by DutchRailnut

The Constitution liners are shot, no parts and they need total overhaul.
  by fl9m2004

How many M8's in service?
Those old bud cars where okay with an sle locomotive pulling or pushing
But I'll bet they where not really reliable solo with only their engines
  by Train538

9410/11, 9415/14, and another 94xx series pair were just spotted in Selkirk, NY by a friend of mine. Also, I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but I saw 9315 on Sunday night and its brake release lights (green lights) seem to flicker all the time. Apparently it's been going on for a couple of months now. It's really weird. Anyhow, happy 2014 everyone!