• M-1 Railfanning curtain continues to fall

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by KFRG

"Actually the interiors are more pleasant than the M1/3s."

Yeah....tell that to the commuters riding home from their 9-5's. Do you work for Bombardier or something?

by Frank

KFRG wrote:"Actually the interiors are more pleasant than the M1/3s."

Yeah....tell that to the commuters riding home from their 9-5's. Do you work for Bombardier or something?
I don't think so. I think they just don't like the seats, but everything else is pretty good. The M1s are pretty bad running cars as of now. Their useful life is over. Besides keeping them another 10 years wouldn't make sense.

No, I don't work for Bombardier! I'm just a fan of the M7s and defending them. :P

by KFRG

"I don't think so. I think they just don't like the seats, but everything else is pretty good. The M1s are pretty bad running cars as of now. Their useful life is over. Besides keeping them another 10 years wouldn't make sense."

And wrong again! Someone give this guy a medal. You seem to be the only one who likes cheesy bright and annoying interiors. What railfans think of these car's are meaningless, regular commuters have already spoken on the shortfalls of the M7's.

by Frank

KFRG wrote:"I don't think so. I think they just don't like the seats, but everything else is pretty good. The M1s are pretty bad running cars as of now. Their useful life is over. Besides keeping them another 10 years wouldn't make sense."

And wrong again! Someone give this guy a medal. You seem to be the only one who likes cheesy bright and annoying interiors. What railfans think of these car's are meaningless, regular commuters have already spoken on the shortfalls of the M7's.
The number of commuters who talked about the M7s shortfalls are fairly small. Most commuters seem to fine with the M7s. They are fixing the swaying problem last I heard. The automated announcements, bright interiors, and large bathrooms are required ADA. Don't say all railfans hate the M7s, some (such as myself) like the M7s. Live with them. The M7s are staying!

M-7

by N340SG

Frank,

I have to get updated numbers, but I think last week the score was 434 M-7 to 370 M-1. 7448 has been spotted on property.

The next major milestone will be when the M-7 represents half the EMU fleet, or around 480 - 490 cars. That should be sometime this summer.

Tom

by KFRG

"Live with them. The M7s are staying!"

Ouch ;-)

by Long Island 7285

the M1 and M3 are no where near the end of there "usefull" life.

Budd made them cars to last 50 years at least and possibly longer if they are taken care of.

Had the LIRR never droped the regular service and overhauls of the entire BUDD fleet then thoes cars could have all been around for another 10 maby 20 years.

and for you A-hole commuters who poke holes in the seats (Even on the M7's) you just made the price of your next ticket go up. its irelivent if your on a Budd, Bomb, Kawasiki. your tickit and my tickit just got more expensive. the same goes for u argent smart ass teens that think your crap don't stick.

its a proven fact, take care of your equipment and it last, some times longer then the builder expected.

It seems that many forgot about the ATO function that the M1s had and never used. and if the right skills are present the M1s can be fully retrofitted to last another 10-20 years.

by LIRRNOVA55

imo. . the M7 Seats are a killer on ones back. . NYP-KO i could barly walk. I Think the M1-M3 Seats are more comfortable. . I like the setup of the M7 interior though.

by Frank

Long Island 7285 wrote:the M1 and M3 are no where near the end of there "usefull" life.

Budd made them cars to last 50 years at least and possibly longer if they are taken care of.

Had the LIRR never droped the regular service and overhauls of the entire BUDD fleet then thoes cars could have all been around for another 10 maby 20 years.

and for you A-hole commuters who poke holes in the seats (Even on the M7's) you just made the price of your next ticket go up. its irelivent if your on a Budd, Bomb, Kawasiki. your tickit and my tickit just got more expensive. the same goes for u argent smart ass teens that think your crap don't stick.

its a proven fact, take care of your equipment and it last, some times longer then the builder expected.

It seems that many forgot about the ATO function that the M1s had and never used. and if the right skills are present the M1s can be fully retrofitted to last another 10-20 years.
Operationally, the M1s ARE at the end of their "useful life". They don't run well anymore, they are in bad shape. Unless they're overhauled, they CAN'T last 50 years. It's time for them to go.

by PacificCommand

The M1s dont run that well, but the M7s dont run well either.

Flat wheels and excessive swaying does NOT make for a nice ride.

by Long Island 7285

Operationally, the M1s ARE at the end of their "useful life". They don't run well anymore, they are in bad shape. Unless they're overhauled, they CAN'T last 50 years. It's time for them to go.
Im not argueing im stating a simple truth that the public and progissives are jsut simply blind to see.

the BUDD fleet can and would last 50 years or more "IF" the LIRR KEPT DOING full over hauls every 5-10 years. and KEPT up on the maintenance of the MU's imbetween the overhauls like they did in the beginning.

the M1s and M3s could have very well have staid on LI for atleast another 10 maby 20 years if this work was done and done properly.

and you love your M7s so much, i hope you go tell the LIRR to take care of them before they become artifical reifs in the Atlantic and you can scuba dive on them. because at the way things look in 20 years 7001/2 will be on flats to a scrapper if the LIRR keeps up this wait till it falls apart bull shit.

I feel bad for the trian men, and maintenance men (woman also) who catch holey hell for this neglegence brought upon them from there supers.

Guys get your signatures from the bosses and then some and SAVE every paper stating that they gave you wrong instructions (MAKE YOUR OWN COPY) so in the god for bid time that something happens because of supers decission you all are covered and have paper in writing to prove it.

by Frank

Long Island 7285 wrote:
Im not argueing im stating a simple truth that the public and progissives are jsut simply blind to see.

the BUDD fleet can and would last 50 years or more "IF" the LIRR KEPT DOING full over hauls every 5-10 years. and KEPT up on the maintenance of the MU's imbetween the overhauls like they did in the beginning.

the M1s and M3s could have very well have staid on LI for atleast another 10 maby 20 years if this work was done and done properly.

and you love your M7s so much, i hope you go tell the LIRR to take care of them before they become artifical reifs in the Atlantic and you can scuba dive on them. because at the way things look in 20 years 7001/2 will be on flats to a scrapper if the LIRR keeps up this wait till it falls apart bull stuff.

I feel bad for the trian men, and maintenance men (woman also) who catch holey hell for this neglegence brought upon them from there supers.

Guys get your signatures from the bosses and then some and SAVE every paper stating that they gave you wrong instructions (MAKE YOUR OWN COPY) so in the god for bid time that something happens because of supers decission you all are covered and have paper in writing to prove it.
Well, I don't know about their M1/3s, but the R32's in the NY Subway is to last another decade. In theory, the M1s can last 50 years IF you maintain them well. The way the M1s are presently they can't last another 5 years in service. What's wrong with LIRR's maintenance anyway?

by Long Island 7285

Well, I don't know about their M1/3s, but the R32's in the NY Subway is to last another decade. In theory, the M1s can last 50 years IF you maintain them well. The way the M1s are presently they can't last another 5 years in service. What's wrong with LIRR's maintenance anyway?

I cant answer whats wrong with LIRR maintenance, other then they are part of the MTA whom allocated millions to NYCT and not enough to LIRR.

I cant mention any thing about the skills of the men and woman that do the work as A)i dont know them B)im not employee and i dont know exatly what is the deal C) I dont want to catch hell from fellow employees on the bord. so as for what goes on in the shop im "C-ing my way out of an "A/B" conversation. :wink:

and as i have stated in all my previous posts. the BUDD flet is more then capable to last 50 and maby even 60 years IF THEY "WERE" TAKEN CARE OF ON A YEARLY OR TRI YEARLY BASEIS.

so did we get an agreement yet :-D

by Frank

Long Island 7285 wrote:

I cant answer whats wrong with LIRR maintenance, other then they are part of the MTA whom allocated millions to NYCT and not enough to LIRR.

I cant mention any thing about the skills of the men and woman that do the work as A)i dont know them B)im not employee and i dont know exatly what is the deal C) I dont want to catch hell from fellow employees on the bord. so as for what goes on in the shop im "C-ing my way out of an "A/B" conversation. :wink:

and as i have stated in all my previous posts. the BUDD flet is more then capable to last 50 and maby even 60 years IF THEY "WERE" TAKEN CARE OF ON A YEARLY OR TRI YEARLY BASEIS.

so did we get an agreement yet :-D
You're right. But the M1s are still IMHO not my favorite cars even if they were maintained. They SHOULD have been overhauled, but since the railroad's ordering more M7s, it seems highly unlikely.

by Long Island 7285

Frank,

Dont worry, the M1s are gone no matter what any one says, the mistake happened years ago and thats when it should have been corrected its too late now.

maby the MTA/LIRR will learn a lesson with the M7's and take care of them (the future dont look to bright already).