• Lumber Yard Off of RT10

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Eric Kreszl

I noticed a railroad track croosing RT10 in either Randolph Twp or Roxbury. I want to know if anyone has photos of this track. What railroad owns this siding? Is it still used? And how often does this customer get shipments and how often?

Thank You.

Eric

by RS115

Eric,

The siding you refer to is the former Wickes Lumber yard siding which is accessed off the Morristown & Erie operated Chester branch. Wickes has been gone for several years and the trackage west of Holland Manufacturing unused. There is a new lumber company (to that location - existing small chain Kaiken Bros I think) that is renovating a former body shop close to the track. I assume but it is not yet confirmed that they also have the actual former Wickes yard in back of their building (Wickes moved when their retail space burned and they elected not to rebuild - they're now a couple miles away on Rt 46 snug against the M&E operated/county owned High Bridge line but they do not have a siding there.) Hopefully that is the case and they will use rail service.

Can anyone confirm - this was asked sometime ago in another thread but never got an answer.

A

by NJTRailfan

The ROW is owned from what I heard Morris County but leases the ROW to Morristown and Erie Railroad. Before I left for Iraq in November of last year I remember seeing a single Alco or a Switcher led train once or twice a week pulling a handful of freight cars. The rest I'm not sure of.

I do remember back in the 90s the M&E pulled about a dozen boxcars and covered hopper cars on this line led by the same singe switcher or Alco.

Sigh :o(

How times have changed.

by njt4172

Anyone know if it is confirmed that Kuiken's will be getting rail service???

Thanks,
Steve

by Charlie7

Kuiken gets rails service at some of their other locations: Midland Park (NYS&W), Emerson (NS), and I believe at Warwick NY too. I know they don't at Fair Lawn (no line nearby), and I think their site at Ogdensburg is not adjacent to the tracks. I would assume they are planning service at this new location if they are have a siding.

by cjvrr

Actually the line to Holland Manufacturing and the old Wickes site is owned by Holland Manufacturing. There is talk of Mr. Holland selling the line to the County of Morris, but there has not been any transaction yet.

Kuiken was rumored to be going into that property, but again I have not seen any confirmation of that. It would be a good fit for them and the area.

In addition to Charlie7's list, Kuiken also receives box cars and centerbeam cars of lumber at their Middletown, NY facility which is on the NS branch that serves the Middletown & New Jersey. This facility is within the old NYO&W engine / shop complex.

Chris

by GSP163

Anyone know if it is confirmed that Kuiken's will be getting rail service???
Yes Kuiken will......The new yard on Route 10 is supposed to be a their new distribution yard.....This means that Midland Park (their current distribution yard) will be receiving less car loads from NYS&W when the new yard opens.