Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by Montrealrail

Very nice found..

In the same time,we could see 2 FP7 of Via rail,make a kind of consist with a LRC engine in lead,a F40 in dead engine and all the LRC's cars
  by Kaback9

MY have things changed only the F40 and the LRC cars remain.
  by ramonesfan

one of those f-units is still in service in Vancouver. its used as the shop switcher. i think sometime in the 90s i rode in one of those blue cars coming from Toronto heading towards Windsor. it was pulled by a F-40PH-2
  by Montrealrail

ramonesfan wrote:one of those f-units is still in service in Vancouver. its used as the shop switcher. i think sometime in the 90s i rode in one of those blue cars coming from Toronto heading towards Windsor. it was pulled by a F-40PH-2
I knnowed about it..If I'm right,It's the same FP7 that was leading on Hinton Crash,when a CN train made a face off with the VIA's Canadian...
  by ramonesfan

Montrealrail wrote:
ramonesfan wrote:one of those f-units is still in service in Vancouver. its used as the shop switcher. i think sometime in the 90s i rode in one of those blue cars coming from Toronto heading towards Windsor. it was pulled by a F-40PH-2
I knnowed about it..If I'm right,It's the same FP7 that was leading on Hinton Crash,when a CN train made a face off with the VIA's Canadian...
FP9ARM 6300 is the one in vancouver. i dobt its the same loco that was in the crash as it would have been totaled. and it wasn't the canadian it was the combined Super Continental and Skeena
  by missthealcos.

FP9AU 6300(CN 6524) was in fact involved in the Hinton wreck..it was the power for the Skeena, in the middle(well towards the rear, Skeena was only 4-5 cars) of the train, with an SGU. Had it not been rebuilt only 3 years prior, It wouldn't have been repaired. 6300 was repaired with the front end of a KCS F7A in 1988, which is why today, 6300 has a pre- F9 style headlight casing. If you look at the pictures of the wreck, and the ones of the unit after being extracated from the tangle, I've always figured 6300s position in the train saved many lives, by essentially buffering the Skeena consist from becoming fully involved in the wreck. In fact, I do believe the cars that made up the Skeena that day (9300 series baggage coach, coach, cafe lounge, and E sleepers) lived on in operation after the wreck. In any case, it is fitting that 6300 wound up with the minor honour of being the last of her breed to operate for Via.

The lead units destroyed that day were FP7A 6566(CP 1422, 4066) and F9B 6633