• Lowell Hill Branch, Lawrence MA

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by CSX Conductor

I typed Guilford Lowell Hill and got only this one photo.

http://photos.nerail.org/search/searchr ... d&BOOL=ALL

Btw, is that street trackage in Jersey still active?

by b&m 1566

Now that I know where it is, I will have to take a ride over there to check it out. The line is not shown on maps so it was a little tricky to find, because the last thing I want to do is go for a stroll in Lawrence. How long have the tracks been their?

by l008com

I'm pretty sure the line used to go all the way TO lowell back in the day. If you check out google maps you can follow the line, it went exactly through what is now the 93 & 495 interchange. If you check out google maps you can also pretty easily find out where it is to go check it out. I drove down once to check it out, it was pretty cool. I'd love to see it in action but that will probably never happen.

by New Haven 1

CSX Conductor, thanks for the hit. One photo is better than none. As far as the Munroe Street trackage, I am happy to report that it is alive and well. The N.Y.& G.L. is doing it's best to expand actually. Recently they added a trash transfer facility to their operation. It's located just off of the NJT mainline whom is their outside connection ,but, they are also working on expansion possibilities on the Passaic end of the line. Atlantic Fiber which has been their primary customer in Passaic thus preserving the Munroe Street trackage is stilll going strong. If you are in the Garfield area for any reason, it is defenitely worth checking out. Does anyone else out there have search strings for the Lowell Hill Branch in Lawrence Mass?

by l008com

Did you try simply 'lowell hill' ?

by FatNoah

Unless I'm not understanding what you guys are talking about, this map shows the branch, which splits of the mainline at the location described by Mr. Racer:

http://historical.maptech.com/getImage. ... g&state=MA

by Rockingham Racer

FatNoah wrote:Unless I'm not understanding what you guys are talking about, this map shows the branch, which splits of the mainline at the location described by Mr. Racer:

http://historical.maptech.com/getImage. ... g&state=MA
Yes, that's it. And the line branching off just north is the M&L. FA tower was just south of the Lowell Hill switch.

by GP40MC 1116

Do we know a schedule that Lowell Hill branch has? I am sure it is taken care of by LA-1. Any info, I would enjoy to watch this opperation!

by Rockingham Racer

Haven't you heard?! On PanAm Railways, schedules are a fantasy! :wink:

by GP40MC 1116

Rockingham Racer wrote:Haven't you heard?! On PanAm Railways, schedules are a fantasy! :wink:
haha this is verrrry true!

:wink:

by New Haven 1

Thanks for the photo links folks. Apparently I didn't go far enough with the advanced search feature as I did use some of the same lingo,but, not to the same extent. That aside, I am in agreement with all that it would be great to catch some action on this unusual piece of railroading. If anyone has access to any scheduling, please pass it along. Thanks in advance.

by l008com

BTW search NERAIL for "lowell hill" and you'll get a ton of hits. Not all of this spot, but most are.

by Rockingham Racer

With all this chat on the topic, my curiosity is piqued. When I get to my sister's house in August, I'm going over there!!! It's in walking distance.