• Looking for photos of Charlotte - 1970s-1980s

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Benjamin Maggi

I am modeling a very small portion of the D&H, but even in those 15-20 miles there is way to much to put on a layout. So I am building it in sections ("Layout Design Elements") slowly, with the idea that I can always expand and add more sections as time/space/money allow. I highly recommend it.
  by BR&P

Well, I debated whether to put this pic here. We have several threads over the past few years about Charlotte and OP of this one asks about 1970-1980's, which this does not fit. But hopefully nobody will object if I wind the clock back to 1955. Here's a shot by the late William Hollingsworth, from my collection. It's taken from in front of the depot, looking north along River Street. And it gives you a pretty good look at the North Yard which at that time had either 5 or 6 tracks. The plows and flanger are on 2,3, and 4 in the North Yard. Hard to believe that today there is no rail activity left at Charlotte at all. :(
img613.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by BR&P

So you don't care about 1955? All right, I won't post any more of those. Here's 1975.
img615.jpg
img616.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by BR&P

And two more:
img617.jpg
img618.jpg
  by RailKevin

1975--so that makes it a Penn Central train?

Not to go too far off-topic...

The third photo appears to be the diamond of a track that curved past the lighthouse and went directly up to the bridge. Wasn't there another diamond that went from the north yard, across the RWO, and into the old foundry? If so, it must have gone up-grade, across the RWO, and down-grade to the foundry?

I am also curious about the freight car trucks. Are those considered friction bearing or roller bearing?
  by charlie6017

DRB,

Those are some great photos, including that shot from 1955. I could look at those pics all day long! 😎

Charlie
  by CPSmith

RailKevin wrote:1975--so that makes it a Penn Central train?

Not to go too far off-topic...

The third photo appears to be the diamond of a track that curved past the lighthouse and went directly up to the bridge. Wasn't there another diamond that went from the north yard, across the RWO, and into the old foundry? If so, it must have gone up-grade, across the RWO, and down-grade to the foundry?

I am also curious about the freight car trucks. Are those considered friction bearing or roller bearing?
I'm surprised BR&P hasn't replied - he must be taking a nap.

Yes, it is a PC train. Yes, there was another diamond, one that allowed today's Charlotte branch to cross the Hojack at an almost 90 degree angle. The historical aerials website (my only source at the moment) shows the trackage there in a 1933 map, but gone in a 1951 aerial photo. And finally, yes, those are friction bearing trucks. Roller bearings gradually replaced friction bearings for two major reasons: 1) roller bearings provide less rolling resistance, so motive power can be reduced for any given application (the proverbial "do more with less"); and 2) roller bearings require significantly less maintenance than friction bearings.
  by BR&P

No, not taking a nap, spent a couple days at our other place near DL&W Jct, even saw R&S head south early this afternoon and just got home. No computer out there so CPS graciously answered your questions on my behalf. Image

I seem to recall the blast furnace shut down fairly early in the 1900's. I'm sure there were other industries down there and so cannot say when the diamond across the Hojack was removed. It is possible it was actually removed in the 1920's and the map CPS mentions had not been updated yet. But at this point I have nothing to indicate that was actually the case.
  by Otto Vondrak

BR&P wrote:Well, I debated whether to put this pic here. We have several threads over the past few years about Charlotte and OP of this one asks about 1970-1980's, which this does not fit. But hopefully nobody will object if I wind the clock back to 1955. Here's a shot by the late William Hollingsworth, from my collection.
Really neat stuff, thanks for sharing your collection with us!

-otto-
  by BR&P

Otto Vondrak wrote:Really neat stuff, thanks for sharing your collection with us!

-otto-
Despite the first one being outside the OP's requested time frame, I didn't think there would be too many objections! :wink:
  by BR&P

OK, another shot from William Hollingsworth, this one taken in 1951. The thought occurs that the crossing to get to the foundry must have run up a heck of a ramp, and then down the other side. Obviously the swing bridge abutments were fixed in height so the diamonds must have been at the RW&O level.
img622.jpg
  by charlie6017

BR&P wrote:OK, another shot from William Hollingsworth, this one taken in 1951. The thought occurs that the crossing to get to the foundry must have run up a heck of a ramp, and then down the other side. Obviously the swing bridge abutments were fixed in height so the diamonds must have been at the RW&O level.
img622.jpg
This is a fabulous shot. Interesting the guard rail on the sharp curve. Never noticed something like this before, but I
would think it's wise as I'm sure the local boat owners wouldn't be happy to see cars string-lined into their pleasure craft. 😛

Charlie
  by BR&P

Actually that rail would tend to keep the wheel toward the inside rail, and presumably resist the forcing of the outside rail into a wide-gauge situation.
  by turntable01

Adding to the conversation... I used to get around Charlotte in the 1970s and 1980s. My grandfather worked at the blast furnace in the early 1900s, and his younger brother worked on the swingbridge. Their father was a brakeman on the NYC/RW&O east out of Charlotte. I added a view of the interchange between the B&O Belt Line and the PC west yards for you.
http://rrpicturearchives.net/archiveThu ... x?id=47161