• Looking for passenger car interiors in HO

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Tom Curtin

What't a good source of HO interiors? Specifically I'm interested in the following:

- regular coach
- lounge car, i. e., seating along the car sides facing across the car.
- parlor, i.e., two rows of single seats -- common on NH, PRR, Milwaukee Road.
- regular diner, i.e., tables for 4 & chairs, and kitchen appliances
- banquette-style diner, i.e., you sat paralell to the car side facing across the car (NYC had some, so did New Haven, which called them "Grill cars").

by AmtrakPhill629

by astrosa

It's not very common for companies to sell complete interiors for any particular car, mainly because there were so many variations in floor plans. There are some generic interiors made by Rivarossi and IHC, and you may find these useful if for no other reason than that they're very inexpensive. With the IHC interiors in particular, some of the parts are molded separately and you may find it simple to cut and rearrange them to match the floor plan you want.

The usual way of building interiors, though, is by adding separately-molded seats and other parts to a styrene floor. This allows you to match the exact floor plan you're working from. Companies offering interior details through Walthers include Red Cap Line and Precision Scale Company; another is Palace Car Company but you must order directly from them by mail.

You didn't actually mention whether you're interested in steamliners or heavyweights, but the general idea is the same. Just find some good diagrams of the configurations you're interested in, then get to work assembling them!
  by Tom Curtin

I can see I did not make one important point clear in my first post: I am not expceting to find a complete interior for any car, assembled, molded, or otherwise --- actually, it never occurred to me that such a thing would exist. I'm looking for seats and other components to build interiors. Your response above has been helpful in giving me some sources to track down.

Tom
  by Tom Curtin

Oh, one other thing . . .
Since you mentioned Palace Car Company, how do I contact them?

by astrosa

Palace Car Co.
Box 973
Kearney, NE 68848

It appears I was wrong - they do have a website where you can order online. They sell sets of interior parts designed for existing models, or you can purchase the parts separately as needed.

Right now I'm putting the finishing touches on a simple interior for an Amtrak Budd ex-Southern Pacific 44-seat coach that I kitbashed. It's simply a sheet of .020" styrene with seats and a couple of partitions cemented to it. I've taken a liking to using seats from PSC, as they feature good detail and are fairly inexpensive - they're sold in packages of 40 double seats and 12 single seats for around $4, and I'll be thankful for this in the near future when I model a pair of 88-seat coaches!

PSC also offers some lounge-style seating and tables, and Red Cap Line sells highly-detailed coach seats as well as detailing kits for restrooms. The latter are so nice-looking that I'd love to add them to my cars, but restroom windows were usually opaque so I can't quite justify that.
  by Tom Curtin

Very good . . . thank you again for the helpful info
  by Tom Curtin

Now that I've had a chance to review the web site for Palace Car Co., which you referred me to, I have to say I'm impressed. They appear to have just about everything I need to do the interiors I want to do (per the post with which I started this thread). Anybody else who's interested in interiors should look at this.