• Looking for LIRR 2005 calendar

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by scopelliti

Not sure if this is the right forum.. please move to Wanted if appropropriate

I'm looking for a 2005 Long Island Rail Road calendar. Ordered one from Walthers along with a bunch of other stuff. They had everything in stock, except the calendar!

Looked on the net... ebay, etc. No luck. www.calendars.com had twenty eight railroad calendars, but not the LIRR!

Any good sources?

by Paul

Try Long Island Sunrise Trail Chapter NRHS
PO Box507-Dpt. C
Babylon, NY. 11702-0507

by Dave Keller

The Railroad Museum of Long Island (RMLI) has a nice black & white calendar that they put out every year.

The 2005 edition is just terrific! It has a combination of steam, early diesel and early electric photos, with important facts in LIRR history indicated on the dates of the events.

You can contact them on Saturdays at the Riverhead museum site at (631) 727-7920

They have a really nice and well-stocked gift shop there with all kinds of LIRR-related items from clothing to pins to books and calendars.

Their mailing address is:

Railroad Museum of Long Island
P.O. Box 726
Greenport, NY 11944

Their e-mail address is: [email protected]

Good luck!

Dave Keller

by jayrmli

As a follow up to Dave's post, the RMLI Calendar is available for $8.00 each ($7.20 for RMLI members) plus $1.95 Shipping & Handling per calendar. Back issues of the calendar (1995, 1997-2004) are available for $4.00 each plus $1.95 Shipping & Handling.

As Dave posted, send a check or money order to RMLI, P.O. Box 726, Greenport, NY 11944. Attn: Calendars.

LIST-NRHS color LIRR calendars are also available through the RMLI gift shop. Call first for availability, as quantities are limited. (I'm not sure of the exact price either.) They are available Saturdays only (winter hours) from 10:00AM to 4:00PM. Their number is 631-727-7920.

Jay

by M1 9147

The New York City Transit Mueseum had it when me, and JoeLIRR went there while on lunch break during the ACMU trip on 12/5. Check there again in person if you go into the city.

by scopelliti

Thanks for the pointers. As I live five hours from Long Island, phone will have to do. I usually find the calendar at the November show in Syracuse, but the usual suspects weren't there, or at least were hiding better than usual!

by Paul

I'll be flying into Syracuse on December 25th, to stay a few days at **GASP** Watertown!!! Then its on to Albany for a night and then down to the Island. BTW, it was 69º here at 3am yesterday night. I can't say that for the NY State snow belt!!!! :-D

by jayrmli

I was out at RMLI today. They have a couple of color LIRR calendars left, as well as their own in stock. I gave the RMLI calendar price in an earlier post.

The LIST-NRHS color calendar is $9.95 each plus 0.87 each NYA sales tax. Shipping and handling, if you wish it to be mailed, is $1.95 per calendar ordered.

There should be someone there this Saturday so you can call and reserve it then. 631-727-7920. I'm not sure if there will be any more reorders of the color calendar so act fast if you want one.

Jay

by scopelliti

Thanks for the pointers, the two calendars should ship Monday.

BTW.. looks like Old Man Winter is visiting western New York this week, they are calling for lows in the teens and rain/snow. Should make driving a real pleasure... ahem.

On the other hand, it will remind me of getting into a nicely chilled MP54 in Hempstead where not only did the heat not work, but the windows were frozen over on the inside! Only thing worse was getting an MP54 for the ride home and getting stuck in a window seat in a smoker car with the heat blasting to nuclear furnance strength and a guy with a cigar sitting next to me. Who says they don't make a good five cent cigar? I wanted to burn my clothes when I got home.

by Dave Keller

I would have to say the cigar was beat out in competition with the B.O. of the scruffy vagrant who plopped down in your seat while you were seated next to the furnace! :wink:

Dave Keller

(Been there, done that, BURNED the T-shirt!)

by scopelliti

Thanks for the pointers, the two calendars should ship Monday.
Well.. I never said which Monday! The calendars showed up last weekend! Wonder if one was out of print and they held until it was replenished.