• Looking for historical information on B&H RR circa 40s &

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by bobgroh

I'm building up information on B&H RR circa 1940's and 1950's and I am particularily interested in exactly what kind and type of freight they actually handled - what it was, what particular industry it was coming from or going to, etc. The wineries are kind of a given so more interested in the 'other' stuff - Mercury Aircraft, farm goods, lumber yards, coal, etc. Any info appreciated. Posted same request on 'Short lines' forum and it was suggested I try same inquiry here. Thanks!

by Aa3rt

Bob-If you're not already aware of it, Kalmbach's Railroads You Can Model includes 8 pages on the B&H. The text says that grapes and wine were the principal outbound commodities with coal and grain making up most of the inbound traffic. More modern operations have bottles, sugar and blending wines inbound. There is also a brief mention of grape stakes (hauled in gondolas) and fuel. Hope this helps.

by joshuahouse

Ohh, man so sorry Bob, i forgot about those photos i offered to get images of to send you. I just remembered tho, there was also a Trains article about the line way back in 1948 iirc, i have a photo copy of it around here somewhere. I'll try to get the images on tuesday, the article may take a little longer.

(edited the word I'll, had been I'', I've been on the road since 730 am today with no AC, triffle fryed)