• Looking for abandoned rail yards

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by JacobBruce

Does anyone know of a railroad graveyard or abandonded rail yard in these parts. I was looking online at an old rail yard for Lehigh Valley in NY but was wondering if there were any in New England.

Adam

by Otto Vondrak

Adam,

I think the abandoned LV yard you were looking for is in Manchester, NY, but you can learn more about that in our New York State forum.

Most of the abandoned rail yards in New England or anywhere elese, are, well, abandoned, with not much to see.

-otto-

by l008com

Well he probably knows that.... :-)

But, in New England, when a rail yard goes abandoned, it is replaced by condos. That he might not know.
  by henry6

A look at old topo maps will show you railyards, so too old employee timetables.
  by Cosmo

Take a look at the "Bilerica Railyard" thread. Definitely counts as a rr graveyard. :wink:
Also, check out the south end of the Valley RR between Old Saybrook and Essex, CT. But I'd hurry on the later as last I heard much of the old stuff down there was being cleaned (read: "cut" ) up! :(

by TomNelligan

The biggest ruin is what's left of what was once New England's biggest freight yard, the New Haven RR's once-vast Cedar Hill Yard, which runs for a couple miles between I-91 and State Street in New Haven and North Haven. Penn Central started to kill it in the early 1970s, and Conrail further cut back operations in the 1980s. A small portion at the north end is still in use by CSX/Connecticut Southern, a portion at the south end is used to store Amtrak maintenance equipment, and a bit in the middle is used by Providence & Worcester. The rest is either shopping centers or overgrown with vegetation. On a clear day you can get a great overview from the top of East Rock Park. If you just drive past along I-91 you can get a general view of the layout. Or check a topographical map.

by NYNE

New Bedford is pretty abandon. But I haven't been there in a while so I don't know if they have started to rebuild things. There were smallish yards in Hopedale and Milford that are pretty much abandon.

by mxdata

There was a lot of yard track around New Bedford that was abandoned or unused for many years. Part of the existing yard recently received new track for the PCB removal project, another portion of the yard is eventually planned to be a layover yard when and if passenger service resumes. There was an older yard area along the west side of what is now Route 18, that was replaced by buildings long ago. I believe there was also originally a network of tracks and a wye down at the south end of the line that goes by the piers, it would have been about where the old power plant is now, I believe I saw that marked on an old map at the Standard-Times many years ago. There also was a small yard in Fairhaven at the west end of the branch line that is now a bicycle path, some of that area is now in the Steamship Authority maintenance facility.

by mick

Almost
Last edited by mick on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

by CSX Conductor

Here's another abandoned one: Five Yard @ Readville. AMtrak/MBTA & CSX cannot go in it anymore because it was deemed contaminated years ago.
  by gawlikfj

Try one of the biggest railyards east of the Mississippi River, Maybrook Yard in Maybrook , NY There is only one track left thats still in use but if you read up on it you'll see how big it was.

by Otto Vondrak

Nothing to see at Maybrook, NY except one single track and a large Yellow Freight Lines truck terminal.

-otto-
  by Noel Weaver

In some cases, the yard might not be totally abandoned but it sure looks
pretty bad: Cedar Hill, Hartford, Waterbury, South Norwalk and the yards
in Providence would fit this catagory. There are a number of yards in
northern New England that would also fit this catagory too.
Noel Weaver
  by gawlikfj

The subject is railroad graveyard or abandoned railyard.
I think that Maybrook falls under this catagory Otto.
  by ProRail

Otto,

How do you get to the remains of Maybrook yard via going westbound on I-84? I sometimes visit an account on Neelytown road in Montgomery, NY and woul like to see Maybrook for myself.