• Looking for a suitable HO roundhouse for the Atlas turntable

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by stuart_iowa

well guys I am home in Canada for a while and I did not bring any of the trains home from the States. So i hva eto figure out what to do for train fun. Thinking of learning to build kits of buildings and stuff. just not sure what to do? i have a model switch yard...so the models will have to fit in to that idea.

I have the atlas turn table mainly because my grandfather purchased it way back when before he died, as a gift , but I want a round house for it , do not really like the atlas roundhouse, so i want another brand that will fit in and look better any ideas?
i want factory building of some sort , a newer design , more steel looking
ideas?
other ideas???
thanks
stuart
  by jmp883

Have you looked at the Walther's HO Scale roundhouse? It may be a little more of what you're looking for in a modern structure.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-2900

Good luck, hope this may help.
  by Komachi

Stuart,

How much real estate are you devoting to the location of your roundhouse on your switching layout? I just got the engine servicing facility planned out on my layout and I only have room for a single stall enginehouse, so I would like to ask how much room you have for your structure? Roundhouses are cool, but tend to take up space. I had a Heljan (now made for Walthers) 3-stall roundhouse that took up a large part of one corner of one of my modules.

So, after asking about space, I would ask what era you're depicting, modern or transition? That will determine style/type. If you have the space, I would go with jmp833's suggestion of using the Walther's modern roundhouse. Lots of big windows that would show off your fleet as they "rest' in their stalls. If you don't have space, I would suggest a small enginehouse. There are numerous manufacturers who make one or two stall enginehouses that would be perfect for a small industrial switching layout. Are you up for a little kitbashing? There's an article in a back issue of Model Railroader (that I'm still looking for) on how to build a 2 stall brick diesel house using City Classics' warehouse walls, DPM brick walls and strip styrene. I'll be more than happy to photocopy the article and mail it to you if you're interested.

I toyed with the same issue with my facility before I decided that the roundhouse, while cool, would not fit my layout... both in terms of size and setting. I wanted this layout to give the feeling of being on a small branchline in a rural area, so the big, brick, 3-stall roundhouse was done away with (in fact, I dontated it to the model railroad club at the U of Minn.) and I am now planning to use a small, wooden, one-stall enginehouse. Not only does it help aid in the sense of being a lightly used branchline, but I can now fit the enginehouse, sanding facilities, fuel dock, coal bunker, water tower, and ash pit (I model the modern era, but want the feel of history and antiquity by having the old steam-era stuff) in the space that would have been taken up by the roundhouse.

Although, let me ask you this as well... have you considered the option of no roundhouse and just having the uncovered tracks radiating out from the table? I don't know if they still have the table, but when I used to go through LaCrosse (WI) on the Empire Builder, I used to glance over at the CP (or was it the BNSF) shops and saw where the roundhouse used to be, with the tracks still radiating out from a central point, some had locomotives or plows parked on them. Just a thought.

Anyway, I hope it helps you figure out what you want to do. Let us know what you decide.

by stuart_iowa

i left room for a small roundhouse, i just want something that looks new, i keep the turn table on the layout because I wanted one so bad when i was a kid and my grandfather got me it. I have room for the sand fillers, the fuel rack etc.....i really like my switch yard.......someday it will have a mainline service it....
i keep looking at buildings and not sure what style i want.
it has to have the following things i think

1) new construction, prefab building with steel walls
2) low profile like a new buildings in industrial parks
3) look like it requires train service
4) be easy to build as iam not very good at kit building
5) not have any special look to it so any kind of car be seen at the plat for something

the engine house has to have some storage. I keep 3 to 4 geeps parked at the table at all times, sometime bigger units when they are visiting

i always have the track laid and then it is time to tear it upo and move....this layout is not moving anytime soon'
so input your thoughts thanks

by stuart_iowa

would the roundhouse door opening match the track profile of the round house? atlas turntable the track positions on the table are a fixed lcoation....indexed is the word I think i am lookingfor. 8 turns on the handle move the table one spot over

just wondering
  by Komachi

Stuart,

"would the roundhouse door opening match the track profile of the round house?"

Did you mean "would the roundhouse door opeining match the track profile of the turntable?"

atlas turntable the track positions on the table are a fixed lcoation....indexed is the word I think i am lookingfor. 8 turns on the handle move the table one spot over

Simple solution... flexitrack. Figure out where the table is indexed, then adjust the flexitrack as needed to fit the space to the roundhouse. I can't remember if the roundhouse has track in it (grooves for rail between concrete inspection pits) or if it's an open gap all the way back (like my Heljan roundhouse was). Still Flexitrack should solve your problem fairly easily.

My 20 yen. Hope that helps.