• Longest run from terminal to terminal?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by CSX-COAL HAULER

What is the longest run from terminal to terminal -you guys have heard of? I bet the longest run would be on the UP or BNSF out west---somebody school me! :P :P

by slchub

The longest in the SLC Hub on the UP (Salt Lake City) is SLC to Grand Junction, CO at 295 miles. SLC to Elko, NV is 260. Vegas to Milford, UT is 242. I think the boys who run west out of Elko to Reno/Sparks have their run at 316.

UPRR Engineer can probably get us mileage for the Cheyenne guys who run from Green River to Cheyenne. I bet that one is over 300 miles.

by slchub

How about your runs? Average length and time to get over the road?

Most of ours as you can see are over 200 or near it. Usually takes from 8-12 hours each run.

by qboy

Along the the UP in Iowa They have long pool From Clinton to Missouri Valley one end of the state to the other 323 miles. They cover all the Z and most K trains.

by CSX-COAL HAULER

Short runs down south---

Chattanooga to Nashville-----146 miles
Nashville to Bruceton Tn------95 miles
Atlanta to Etowah--------------137 miles
Atlanta to Chattanooga-------125 miles
Etowah to Corbin KY-----------163 miles
Nashville to Birmingham--------201 miles

:P
  by amtrakhogger

Where I work, NY-WAS, my run is 225 miles. Since we don't
layover (i.e. hotel), we run back in the same tour of duty making the total 450 miles. (125 mph)

by Noel Weaver

Selkirk to Buffalo (both long pool and regular jobs) is 300 miles.
Noel Weaver

by UPRR engineer

Cheyenne (WX510) to Green River (WX817) is 307 miles. (I think---->) Theres something with Dale Creek and the tunnels and a 3rd mainline over there somewhere, they might gain a couple more miles in there miles ran.

by conrail_engineer

Noel Weaver wrote:Selkirk to Buffalo (both long pool and regular jobs) is 300 miles.
Noel Weaver
Buffalo to Willard, Ohio, is 260 miles - but pays 300 miles. :-D

There's more to the mileage than wide-open spaces and the vast distances of the West. We're paid by the mile - so a job that paid over 300 miles or so would be a grossly unfair inequality to the guys working shorter pools.

In Buffalo, there is the 185-mile Buffalo - Cleveland pool, and the 300-mile Willard pool. To try to equalize pay as much as possible, the Cleveland pool turns and burns - they're out every day, ten hours at home is the rule. The IP long pool makes two round trips a week - giving about 30-48 hours at home every turn.

Since (because of CSX Quality train dispatching) both runs take between 10-12 hours (the Cleveland pool works every yard and frequently crews cool their heels outside the end terminal, both Cleveland and Buffalo) the short-pool guys are trying to make a million dollars...by working a million hours.

by CN_Hogger

We're running the Q194/195 trains from Fulton, KY to Chicago, I think i heard someone say it's about 330 miles.

by UPRR engineer

Back in the day before the Cheyenne to Green River long pool, there use to be the "ID Runs" i guess that ran from Rawlins Wyoming (WX683) to Ogden Utah (UY993 i think?). 310 miles is what i come up with, that might be wrong.

by pennsy

Hi All,

Pentrex has a Santa Fe videotape with a run from LAUS to Barstow, where the engine crew changes to return to LAUS that evening. Run is about 300 miles and is considered a plum for those with seniority.

by GOLDEN-ARM

The Selkirk/Buffalo run, was over 300 miles, terminal to terminal. The FEC runs 340 miles, terminal to terminal. The BNSF run, from Belen to Amarillo (yes, they created a "super-pool", bypassing the Division point in Clovis) is over 320 miles, although to be fair, the chances of actually completing the run are slim, to none. (and actually, Slim just left town...... :P ) In theory, a crew could run over 600 miles, in a single tour, if there were no intermediate terminals, slow orders, slow trackage, following other trains, pick-ups, set-outs, etc. SK to Hagerstown was a "decent" run, lenghtwise as was Houston to Victoria, via Eagle Lake. Brownsville to Bloomington was another super run, when you were ordered to run past crew change point at Kingsville.

by jz441

On BNSF:

1 Newton KS and La Junta CO ..................... .355 miles
2 Amarillo TX to Belen NM ............................. 343 miles
3 Amarillo TX to Wellington KS ... ...................317 miles
All other runs are less than 300 miles (I think).

They just created Kansas City to Oklahoma long pool, but I don’t know what the mileage is... It pays around $1000 per round trip.

by Steve F45

Goldenarm, what was the mileage for the NYSW from ridgefield park to bingo?