• Long winter ahead- switch failures starting already

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by roadster

Looks like a long winter is approaching for CSX in Upstate NY. In the past 2 weeks switch failures have started early this season, and the snow and cold hasn't even begun yet. Numerous switch failures have occured across the Rochester Sub. and delays are starting. Keep your eyes and ears tuned folks.

by trainfreak

Now when a switch fails to throw what is the cause? I figure maybe a lot of ice and snow that jam it up but i would imagine they have heaters to prevent that. So would it be like one of the components that moves it just break?

by roadster

There can be several reasons. Cold weather turning old lubricant into gum, debris blown into the points, the old switch motors are tired and don't throw as hard and don't lockup, excessive moisture buildup around
ties holding switch point appliances causing swelling making points out of adjustment, old relays and eletrical componants wornout.
  by MP366

One problem is that the owners of this line as far back as PC and probably NYC insist on using Calrod heaters on low current. The snow tends to overwhelm the switch heaters and they don't throw enough heat far enough to clear the melted snow before it refreezes in or near the switch points....CN and UP both use the equivalent of blow dryers on steroids that seem to work pretty well in clearing the snow and ice. I'm not sure how well they would stand up to physical attack by the residents around CP373.....somebody might take one home and make it into a furnace......but the heaters CSX has now become the owner of have been around since I was a kid, and every year the switch failures keep coming back.....

by Jersey_Mike

The former PRR part of Conrail used direct acting propane burner switch heaters. These seem to be able to get the job done.

by SRS125

They can throw the powered switches by hand with a hand crank if need be. I have seen this done two or three times by the the maintaince guys when they were trying to fix the easterley 2 to 1 cross over at M.P. 313 back in Augest.
  by 2nd trick op

As a builder of dispatch-simulation models, I'm wondering just how much the frequency of switch failures increases during the winter months; would appreciate it if anyone could add their observations.

by SRS125

switches freeze up a lot during the winter months. I have seen the Maintaince guy fix a switch only to come back to the same one 2 or 3 times in one day to fix it again.

by roadster

Most all remote powered swithes have the manual throw backup. But can you imagine the cost of placing a switch tender at all the CPs for all 3 shifts throughout the winter. But as I mentioned in the 1st post, we haven't had any snowy, or real cold weather yet. I spoke with a couple of the dispatchers last month and they are dreading the upcoming winter. It's mostly a matter of really old and tired equipment being pushed well beyond it's useful life.

by sd80mac

roadster wrote:But can you imagine the cost of placing a switch tender at all the CPs for all 3 shifts throughout the winter.
NOT A PROBLEM! all CSX have to do recruit railfans and train them for heavy dose of safety (railfans have to pay training fees to keep csx happy) There's plenty of them who can go through couple of shifts..

:P

ken

by nessman

sd80mac wrote:NOT A PROBLEM! all CSX have to do recruit railfans and train them for heavy dose of safety (railfans have to pay training fees to keep csx happy) There's plenty of them who can go through couple of shifts..
Let the derailments begin.
  by pablo

Roger that, Les...

Dave Becker

by JBlaisdell

The surest way to cure a railfan is to have him go work for the RR.

by SRS125

JBlaisdell wrote:The surest way to cure a railfan is to have him go work for the RR.
been there done that with a contractor. No fun geting up at 5:30 in the morning every day and working 80 hours a week for CSX!

by roadster

You bet, ruined a perfectly good hobby. When I see a train now, it's work!!
I still enjoy the history of railroading.