• **LONG ISLAND PRESERVATION NEWS**

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by jayrmli

Aide de Camp, please don't let the "tone" of a post discourage you or any of the volunteers from posting updates here. It doesn't matter what railroad, what rail preservation group it is, no matter what you do, there is always going to be someone who will chime in afterwards to add their two cents.

Back at that time when LIRR painted their engines, they were not using Dupont Imron paint, didn't have color swatches, etc. Most of the paint was purchased at Martin Paint (remember them?). This isn't rocket science, and it's not like the locomotive is going to be placed stuffed and mounted in a building, so the paint is going to oxidize over time anyway. If anyone is referencing off of old photographs, that's not an exact science either, as the color degrades over time. If you took a photo of the locomotive a year after it was painted, it won't look the same as it did when it was just painted anyway.

It's nice to see the equipment getting some much needed attention. Please keep the updates coming. Those that appreciate the effort will continue to support you, those that choose to complain won't. That's just the way things work.

Jay
  by Hauspiper

I have had choice words in the past and Aide de Camps phrasing on other web pages but I have to stand my ground with this one. They have continued and completed what Twin Froks NRHS/RMLI started almost ten years ago and 1556 looks great what ever the rivet counters say.
Mike Arnold
  by peanut1

Are their plans possibly to ever have 1556 operational again? You guys did a really good job on that loco, looks great.
  by n2qhvRMLI

Peanut 1,

1556 is not a priority for operation at this time.

Currently, with the purchase of new batteries, LIRR switch engine #399 is operational. With some maintenance on her plumbing valves and a certified steam operator, H.K. Porter #1 is operational. BEDT #16 will not be restored to operating condition and LIRR G5s #39 is apart, awaiting funds to continue restoration to operating condition.

Many years ago, 1556 was partially disassembled by RMLI volunteers as they began restoration of her wiring harnesses. Those parts disassembled remain apart and in storage. A qualified locomotive electrical technician would have to advise us on how to return the electrical systems to operating condition. The prime mover has had rudimentary storage maintenance performed and with batteries and clean fuel/oil it should be able to be run in place but not move. That said, her radiators have deteriorated to Swiss Cheese and keeping her cool while running will be a challenge - but she could make ALCO smoke for a short period of time before overheating :-)

Thank you for your kind words on all the work our young volunteers performed this winter on 1556 and the other cars and locos in our collection. I agree with you, they all look great!

Please visit our Facebook page at: http://www.facebook.com/railroadmuseumofli to view photos of the Boys at work on the RMLI collection. This year we were blessed with mild winter weather and we had the cash to purchase paint for the project - it all came together with Anthony DeBellis as project manager, Matt Maritato, John Golden, Ed O'Connor and Evan Zeigler working in the paint crew. Thanks go to senior RMLI members, Rich Gorddard, John Thompson, Greg Kruszeski and Joe Saullo for also lending a hand and raising a brush!! Special thanks and recognition go to Art Christian for the outstanding lettering being performed, his art work completes the project!

Best,
Don Fisher, President

Railroad Museum of Long Island
  by n2qhvRMLI

Gentle Forum Members,

I invite you to view a recent interview and feature article, (Thursday, June 28, 2012), from the Riverhead News Review newspaper. It outlines our plans for a nationwide, grassroots fundraising campaign beginning in 2013. Your thoughts, comments and support are welcomed.

http://riverheadnewsreview.timesreview. ... engine-39/

de Don n2qhvRMLI
Don Fisher, President

Railroad Museum of Long Island
  by ChessieDave

Wow things look great out there in Riverhead. watched the video on the website love the new windows and doors on the BEDT!!!!
  by keyboardkat

Interesting that the ping pong had its bare light bulbs replaced with the "bulls-eye" light globes as part of the LIRR's car modernization program, but it didn't get circulating fans. I thought both things were done at the same time.
  by n2qhvRMLI

Railroad Museum begins $1 Million Fundraising Campaign –
Partners with Strasburg Rail Road Company to Restore and Operate LIRR G5s Locomotive #39

Friday, March 15, 2013
Greenport L.I. NY

On Thursday, March 14, 2013 - Mr. Linn Moedinger, President of the Strasburg Rail Road Company,
Railroad Museum of Long Island President, Don Fisher and Vice President and Counsel Dennis DeAngelis, signed an agreement to restore and OPERATE the LIRR G5s Steam Locomotive #39!

RMLI’s Board of Trustees voted unanimously on Tuesday, March 12, 2013 to partner with the Strasburg Rail Road Company. The agreement culminates five and one half months of talks and negotiations between the two principals.

Terms of the contract provide for the Railroad Museum of Long Island to raise $900,000.00 in FY 2013 and transport the G5s locomotive to the Strasburg property, the Strasburg Rail Road will add $1,086,861.00 to the project, complete restoration of the steam engine in three years and then operate the locomotive on their property for a period of forty-eight years.

Fisher stated that “this partnership is the best way to get the locomotive restored and into operation. After thirty three-years of trying, New Yorkers and others living in the Pennsylvania Railroad region may finally ride behind this historic steam engine. We need to complete this project with a grass-roots effort. I believe the interest and support for restoring this locomotive will be there.”

The Railroad Museum of Long Island officially begins efforts to raise $1,000,000.00 for the move and restoration of the locomotive today. Tax-deductible donations may be made to “RMLI Engine 39” at P.O. Box 726, Greenport NY 11944-0726.
  by 4400Washboard

How are the Morris Park (NYTM?) M1s doing? Still rusting away or scrapped. If anything, they should preserve a train of MNRR cars. For example:

M3A-M2-M6 (Middle)-M4 (Ends)

More simply put:

An M3A, an M2, the middle M6 in a triplet set and lastly one of the ends of an M4 triplet
We already got LIRR Metropolitans saved, so why not give the MNRR Cosmpolitans a shot at the museum?
Has there been any effort to save M2s in the first place?
  by 4400Washboard

lirr42 wrote:This has been discussed, ad nauseum, in the Official M2 / M4 / M6 Retirement Thread thread in the Metro-North forum, where discussion about Metro-North equipment should stay.
If you look at the first part of my post, you will see:
tjensen wrote:How are the Morris Park (NYTM?) M1s doing? Still rusting away or scrapped. If anything...
That is the question directed for the LIRR forum. I agree that the second part should go to the Metro North forum, though.
  by MADDOG

From the Oyster Bay Railroad Museum---
On Saturday June 7th 2014, we will be hosting our 50th anniversary celebration of the 1964 NY Worlds Fair.
On display will be a huge treasure trove of LIRR memorabilia from the fair as well as various select pieces from the collection of Jerry & Susan Jacobs. Their collection is very eclectic. We will also be revealing our new display of the actual LIRR Pavilion in 1/4 inch scale which include the operating G16 model train.
For those of you who remember the fair, this will make you misty eyed.
We will be open from 10am to 4pm.
We will also have our Worlds Fair Alco FA-1 diesel cab open for visiting. This artifact from the actual pavilion has a built in sound system and we may have another surprise waiting!
Please join us for this day.
Our website is http://www.obrm.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MADDOG
  by 4400Washboard

What is the P54D at OBRMs history?
  by MADDOG

tjensen wrote:What is the P54D at OBRMs history?
From what I know, it is #7433 and was retired in the early 1970's and then went to the Knox & Kane tourist rr in Pennsylvania. With generous help from Island Rail LLC, OBRM worked with the folks who bought the assest of the K&k for scrap and we had Silk Road Transport bring it up to Oyster Bay.
Our crew worked almost 20 hours getting the car back on its trucks on track in the yard.
I will tell you that the the town where the K&K RR was is a very small town out in nowhere Pa.
The people were great.
MADDOG
  by 4400Washboard

Cool, thanks